South Salt Lake man charged with murdering neighbor
SOUTH SALT LAKE — A man accused of stabbing a neighbor in his four-plex without warning was charged Friday with murder.
Ansumana Jadama, 20, was charged in 3rd District Court with murder and aggravated burglary, both first-degree felonies. Bail for Jadama, who remained in the Salt Lake County Jail Friday, was set at $1 million.
On Sept. 25, Rickey Magnuson, 48, answered a knock at his door, 415 E. 3400 South, about 9:15 p.m. Before any words were exchanged, Jadama stabbed Magnuson in the abdomen, according to charging documents.
Magnuson's roommate saw Jadama "take a step into the apartment and make a thrusting motion toward Magnuson's abdomen," the charges state. The knife blade broke off into the victim's body. A knife handle was recovered in Jadama's apartment.
According to Utah state court records, Jadama pleaded guilty to criminal trespassing and criminal mischief, both misdemeanors, in 2012. Although his initial sentence did not include much jail time, he has since spent more than 200 days in jail, going between incarceration, mental health court and mental health treatment.
Jadama has gone through streaks where he was compliant with the conditions of his probation and receiving treatment, and times when he wasn't. During a Sept. 9 court hearing, Jadama was found to be "not compliant with treatment," according to court records.
- North Ogden woman sent to prison in...
- Salt Lake officer captured Dillon Taylor...
- Lunch manager on leave after diabetic student...
- Tips lead police to arrest of public enemy No. 1
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year
- Stranger donates vehicle to Bountiful...
- Family seeks change as poisoned tea...
- Odyssey Elementary opens doors for...
- Poll: Utahns willing to fight for... 58
- Utah argues for more time to file... 35
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year 32
- State asks for more time to file appeal... 24
- Government regulation has become like... 24
- Lunch manager on leave after diabetic... 23
- End of an era: Huntsville bookshop... 22
- Poll: Majority of Utahns in favor of... 22