South Salt Lake man charged with murdering neighbor
SOUTH SALT LAKE — A man accused of stabbing a neighbor in his four-plex without warning was charged Friday with murder.
Ansumana Jadama, 20, was charged in 3rd District Court with murder and aggravated burglary, both first-degree felonies. Bail for Jadama, who remained in the Salt Lake County Jail Friday, was set at $1 million.
On Sept. 25, Rickey Magnuson, 48, answered a knock at his door, 415 E. 3400 South, about 9:15 p.m. Before any words were exchanged, Jadama stabbed Magnuson in the abdomen, according to charging documents.
Magnuson's roommate saw Jadama "take a step into the apartment and make a thrusting motion toward Magnuson's abdomen," the charges state. The knife blade broke off into the victim's body. A knife handle was recovered in Jadama's apartment.
According to Utah state court records, Jadama pleaded guilty to criminal trespassing and criminal mischief, both misdemeanors, in 2012. Although his initial sentence did not include much jail time, he has since spent more than 200 days in jail, going between incarceration, mental health court and mental health treatment.
Jadama has gone through streaks where he was compliant with the conditions of his probation and receiving treatment, and times when he wasn't. During a Sept. 9 court hearing, Jadama was found to be "not compliant with treatment," according to court records.
- Summer downpour causes flooding, slides...
- Swallow, Shurtleff make first court...
- Utah leads the nation in deadly melanoma cases
- Provo's waffle truck started by a motivated...
- Project to restore Manti Tabernacle underway
- Video of school bus driver shows 'bizarre'...
- Settlement in dog shooting case reached, then...
- Critics decry solar fee as 'sun' tax
- Republican, Democratic political... 32
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 25
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows... 22
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes... 21
- Swallow, Shurtleff make first court... 19
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 18
- Critics decry solar fee as 'sun' tax 17
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake... 12