Book review: 'Pickles' brings acceptance and relatability to life, old age and love
Provided by Brian Crane
"OH, SURE! BLAME IT ON THE DOG! A Pickles Collection," by Brian Crane, Baobab Press, $14.95, 139 pages (f)
One of Salt Lake's favorite comic writers returns with a new book that delicately pokes fun at marriage, old age and life as we know it in Brian Crane's "Oh, Sure! Blame It on the Dog!"
Slated for an Oct 8. release, this collection of comics marks the sixth collection from Crane's impressive 20-plus years of cartooning.
Returning to paperback are Earl and Opal Pickles, a married couple of 50 years, loving grandparents and pet owners who have won the hearts of America with their wit, banter and overall "old, married couple" attitude.
Crane captures the heart and soul through the details of Earl and Opal's relationship, writing their exchanges in a relatable and comical way. When faced with the task of growing old, perhaps readers can find solace in the universal humor and acceptance found in the Pickle residence.
And as a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Crane, a resident of Sparks, Nev., has stayed close to his roots and occasionally illustrates LDS icons such as a picture of the temple, into his strips.
Crane's sixth book marks the continued fulfillment of his dream to become a cartoon artist. Encouraged by his wife, Diane, Crane's dream came true and for many years he has dedicated his efforts full time to creating the beloved "Pickles" cartoon.
"Pickles" now appears in more than 800 newspapers throughout the world, after being first picked up and syndicated by the Washington Post Writer's Group in 1990.
If you go ...
What: Brian Crane book signing
When: Wednesday, Oct. 9. 7 p.m.
Where: The King's English, 1511 S. 1500 East, Salt Lake City
Note: Places in the signing line are reserved for those who purchase a copy of "Oh, Sure! Blame It on the Dog!" from the King's English.
Emmilie Buchanan-Whitlock is an intern for the Deseret News with Mormon Times. She recently graduated from Brigham Young University-Idaho. Contact her by email: email@example.com or on Twitter: emmiliewhitlock
- Mormons popping up all over TV these days
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy' is an awesome mix...
- 5 PG movies that aren't exactly kid friendly
- Who are the Guardians of the Galaxy?
- San Diego Comic-Con 2014: The biggest...
- 10 ways Disney can help those with autism
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy': 3 points for parents
- Drive-By Art aims to beautify Salt Lake...
- 5 PG movies that aren't exactly kid... 17
- Sarah Palin launches online... 10
- The wrath of Comic-Con: S.L. convention... 8
- Mormons popping up all over TV these days 6
- George W. Bush writes book about father 3
- First trailer for 'The Hobbit: The... 3
- The Clean Cut: Jennifer Lawrence makes... 2
- Farewell, Monty Python 2