Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
In Utah’s annual blackout game, the Utes were deep in the red in one critical category. Utah had a minus-five turnover margin Thursday against No. 12 UCLA. Its offense hardly generated anything throughout the entire second half as it fell to 1-7 against top 25 opponents since losing to TCU in 2010.
Travis Wilson (22-43, 288 yards, two touchdowns) threw six interceptions, including three in the third quarter. Some weren’t on him, however, as several passes went through his receivers’ hands. Geoff Norwood let one get past him late in the third stanza, after the Utes were on the move following a fourth-down conversion.
Later, however, Wilson had his own problems. With his team down one score, Wilson's pass sailed and was intercepted. Then he threw another pick on his offense’s final play, when it was within sight of the end zone.
The Utah offensive line struggled against UCLA linebacker Anthony Barr and a mighty Bruin defensive line. It gave up a sack on third down late in the third quarter. Ultimately, the entire unit lacked firepower for almost the entire second half against the nation’s 29th-best scoring defense. GRADE: C-
UP NEXT: The Utah defense
Rhett Wilkinson is a project manager for UtahPolicy.com and hails the true-blooded Aggies from Utah. The co-founder of magazine Aggie BluePrint.com, he's been an intern for the Deseret News and other publications. firstname.lastname@example.org | @wilklogan
- Utah Jazz: A look at each player's contract...
- Dick Harmon: The Mangum brothers are a...
- Salt Lake marathon is first win for Lehi...
- Utah's second spring scrimmage is 'a dead heat'
- Optimism abounds for the Utah Jazz's future
- Utah gymnastics: Red Rocks finish second to...
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches
- BYU rugby cruises past Central Washington,...
- Former BYU star Ena fitting in well at... 76
- Morning links: Krystkowiak shares his... 33
- Rose still has lofty goals for BYU's... 30
- Dick Harmon: Careers of Aaron... 26
- Mountain West Conference announces... 22
- Morning links: Booker ends the year... 17
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches 17
- 3 Utes, 1 Aggie and 1 Cougar selected... 14