USU tennis: men's tennis set to compete in second fall tournament Friday
LOGAN — Utah State's men's tennis team travels to Boise, Idaho, to compete in the Dar Walters Tennis Classic, the team's second competition of the fall.
Play begins Friday, Oct. 4, and concludes Sunday, Oct. 6. BYU, Eastern Washington, Idaho, Idaho State, Lewis-Clark State, Montana, Montana State, Portland, Portland State, Utah and Weber State are set to join Utah State and Boise State at the tournament.
The Aggies hope to build off their results from the Weber State Open, where senior Andrew Whiting led Utah State by going 3-1 in singles play.
Utah State also won two doubles matches at the Weber State open, where teams of junior Curran Wearmouth and Whiting, along with freshman Tomas Cosmai and senior Matt Thatcher both notched victories.
Competing in the tournament are senior Fredrik Peterson, junior Sean Levesque, and freshmen Sebastian Schneider and Dennis Baumgartner. Other Aggies will compete unattached.
Utah State men's tennis head coach Clancy Shields returns to Boise State where he was an assistant coach from 2010-2013, winning back-to-back Mountain West Conference championships his final two years.
Prior to his coaching career, Shields was named the 2009 Western Athletic Conference Player of the Year at Boise State and earned all-WAC first-team honors for doubles and singles play seven times throughout his collegiate career. Overall, Shields led the Broncos to three WAC titles (2006, 2007, 2009) and an NCAA Sweet 16 appearance.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- BYU basketball: National experts weigh in on...
- BYU football: Christian Stewart returns to...
- Dick Harmon: Work of BYU's new strength coach...
- Kaufusi providing BYU with much-needed inside...
- Morning links: Nate Orchard writes about his...
- Utes begin final road swing at Washington State
- The name game: pronouncing the names of the...
- After year layoff, BYU's Kurtz happy to be...
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70 110
- Utes come up short in Pac-12 battle... 83
- Discipline a focus of spring ball for... 77
- Holmoe assesses the state of the... 51
- Mike Sorensen: How about a Utah-BYU... 44
- Brad Rock: When it comes to rioting,... 44
- Morning links: Is BYU now in the... 40
- BYU football: Christian Stewart returns... 30