As recounted in "To the Rescue," LDS President Spencer W. Kimball summoned President Monson to the temple in the spring of 1978. President Kimball remarked on the great love President Monson held in reserve for the people of Germany and acknowledged their struggle with performing temple work.
"The Lord will not deny temple blessings to those worthy members," President Kimball said, according to the biography. "And then with a smile, he said, 'You find the way.’ ”
What followed was careful and calculated brainstorming of how to extend the blessings of the temple to the German Saints.
In his biography, President Monson said they exhausted every potential solution, including government authorized trips for small groups of members, and authorized sealings outside of the temple.
Yet it was in May 1978 that the German government allowed for the best forseeable answer — to build a temple in East Germany.
After many long years of logistical planning with LDS Church leaders and the German government, President Gordon B. Hinckley dedicated the Freiberg Germany Temple on June 25, 1985 — the culmination of President Monson's 17 years of efforts among the German people.
The Freiberg Germany Temple was the second temple in Germany.
Emmilie Buchanan-Whitlock is an intern for the Deseret News with Mormon Times. She recently graduated from Brigham Young University-Idaho. Contact her by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or on Twitter: emmiliewhitlock
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional tradition
- Christmas lights on Temple Square in pictures...
- Mormon missionaries shine shoes, teach the...
- Mormon-raised Paul Walker remembered for...
- What's new: 'Women and the Priesthood' by...
- Tips for LDS bloggers from the 'ultimate...
- LDS growth in India draws media attention
- Redskins find new opponent, supporter of name...
- Mormon-raised Paul Walker remembered... 63
- Cardinal Dolan says Catholic church... 38
- Court: Mormon church, members not... 34
- Notre Dame sues over health care law's... 31
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged... 28
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say... 25
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional... 21
- Ask Angela: Woman shares update on... 20