Another big BYU-USU game — this time, Aggies are favored
With a 2-2 record, the Cougars need four wins to remain in position to be bowl-eligible this season. A victory against the Aggies would put BYU halfway to reaching the necessary six wins to go bowling in December. The Cougars are also looking to avoid an 0-2 record against in-state foes this season.
“We’re fired up, we’re ready for this game,” Hill said. “It’s a big one. Going to Logan can really propel us and get that tipping point for the rest of the season.”
In a 37-10 triumph over Middle Tennessee last week, the Cougar offense looked much better than it did in a loss to Utah. But Utah State’s defense is much better than the Blue Raiders' defense.
Besides, with this being a rivalry game, and the fact that USU’s defense is very similar to last year’s, Friday’s matchup could be a very low-scoring affair.
“It’s always going be a struggle, that’s how rivalry games are,” said Hoffman. “But we know their defense is good and our defense is good. I think it will come down to which defense plays better. Either way, I think both offenses will get their points.”
The good news for BYU is both Hoffman and running back Jamaal Williams return to the lineup this week. While Hoffman served a one-game suspension, Williams sat out due to the effects of a concussion suffered against Utah.
“It’s huge,” Hill said of the return of Hoffman and Williams. “Even if we’re not getting them the ball regularly, their defense is going to have to account for them. That’s really big. It’s good to have them back.”
Hoffman is hoping his team plays much better than it did in 2010, and can win its third in a row over the Aggies.
“The last couple of years we had revenge on them and hopefully we can keep the streak going,” he said.
BYU (2-2) at Utah State (3-2)
Friday, 6 p.m.
Radio: 1160 AM, 102.7 FM
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback Austin...
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up...
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby player...
- Links: BYU gets a new commitment; Utes are...
- BYU basketball: NBA draft insiders weigh in...
- High school baseball: Clutch fifth inning...
- High school boys basketball: Lone Peak hires...
- Syracuse sophomore chases Paralympic dreams,...
- Doug Robinson: BYU football may be... 125
- Links: BYU gets a new commitment; Utes... 40
- BYU basketball: NBA draft insiders... 31
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 29
- Ranking the best quarterbacks in... 23
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby... 14
- Morning links: Jazz in the lottery;... 13
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on... 13