Lavelle Hawkins was at the airport, ready to board a plane to work out for the Washington Redskins, when his phone rang.
The call, from the San Diego Chargers, was an answer to his prayers.
In a Chargers.com article by Ricky Henne, the shifty 5-foot-11 wide receiver talked about the circumstances that led him to sign with the Chargers earlier this week.
Hawkins spent five years with the Titans after they selected him as a fourth-round pick in 2008. Hawkins spent time with the New England Patriots and San Francisco 49ers in the offseason, but didn’t make either team.
“To be honest, I prayed about this,” Hawkins told Henne. “I was in San Francisco and I got released and my coach is here, Fred Graves, and I was speaking with him over the team I was out. I was saying, ‘Coach, if there’s anything you can do, get me over there’ because I always wanted to play with (quarterback) Philip (Rivers) because it seems like he’s a fiery guy, so this is a dream come true.”
- 100 inspirational quotes from Mormon leaders
- 6 Mormon sisters share uplifting music with...
- LDS missionaries share messages about...
- Wedding industry illustrates unresolved legal...
- President Uchtdorf visits Provo City Center...
- Well-prepared LDS Scouts rescue couple off...
- Video purports to show second beheading of US...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Wedding industry illustrates unresolved... 69
- BYU coach, players answer questions at... 18
- 'Deseret News National Edition': Common... 12
- What does heaven look like? Here are 10... 6
- Brigham Young, Utah War topic of... 3
- LDS missionaries share messages about... 2
- Cracks in the ‘stained-glass... 2
- ValueSpeak: A tip of the hat to innocence 2