Lavelle Hawkins was at the airport, ready to board a plane to work out for the Washington Redskins, when his phone rang.
The call, from the San Diego Chargers, was an answer to his prayers.
In a Chargers.com article by Ricky Henne, the shifty 5-foot-11 wide receiver talked about the circumstances that led him to sign with the Chargers earlier this week.
Hawkins spent five years with the Titans after they selected him as a fourth-round pick in 2008. Hawkins spent time with the New England Patriots and San Francisco 49ers in the offseason, but didn’t make either team.
“To be honest, I prayed about this,” Hawkins told Henne. “I was in San Francisco and I got released and my coach is here, Fred Graves, and I was speaking with him over the team I was out. I was saying, ‘Coach, if there’s anything you can do, get me over there’ because I always wanted to play with (quarterback) Philip (Rivers) because it seems like he’s a fiery guy, so this is a dream come true.”
- How to get 'Meet the Mormons' in theaters...
- Young performing LDS missionary shares...
- Ask Angela: Fiancee struggles with newly...
- Mormon neighbors help Catholic nuns with...
- Famous Mormons featured in new BYU commercial
- 10 religious leaders you may not know about
- Two apostles visit Northern South America,...
- A conversation with Mormon convert and 7-time...
- Ask Angela: Fiancee struggles with... 43
- Americans link violence with Muslims,... 14
- A conversation with Mormon convert and... 9
- New Harmony: Ogling the penmanship of... 8
- New Utah rabbi hopes to 'perfect the... 6
- 6 science-fiction and fantasy movies... 5
- 5 unusual places of worship 5
- How to get 'Meet the Mormons' in... 4