Lavelle Hawkins was at the airport, ready to board a plane to work out for the Washington Redskins, when his phone rang.
The call, from the San Diego Chargers, was an answer to his prayers.
In a Chargers.com article by Ricky Henne, the shifty 5-foot-11 wide receiver talked about the circumstances that led him to sign with the Chargers earlier this week.
Hawkins spent five years with the Titans after they selected him as a fourth-round pick in 2008. Hawkins spent time with the New England Patriots and San Francisco 49ers in the offseason, but didn’t make either team.
“To be honest, I prayed about this,” Hawkins told Henne. “I was in San Francisco and I got released and my coach is here, Fred Graves, and I was speaking with him over the team I was out. I was saying, ‘Coach, if there’s anything you can do, get me over there’ because I always wanted to play with (quarterback) Philip (Rivers) because it seems like he’s a fiery guy, so this is a dream come true.”
- Seeking and sorrowing: Sisters of the Prophet...
- Are church youth dances outdated?
- Number of LDS converts, missionaries...
- Returned Mormon missionary wins Ms. Virginia...
- Rare LDS Church document discovered that...
- Elder Nelson dedicates Life Sciences...
- Joseph and Emma Smith as parents
- Defending the Faith: The mystery of the...
- Defending the Faith: The mystery of the... 64
- Faith groups urge Supreme Court to... 61
- Are church youth dances outdated? 51
- Returned Mormon missionary wins Ms.... 38
- Number of LDS converts, missionaries... 26
- Jerry Earl Johnston: The Founding... 25
- 5 faith facts about Marco Rubio:... 14
- Elder Nelson dedicates Life Sciences... 13