BYU, USU football: Breaking down the Cougar offense vs. Aggie defense
Tom Smart, Deseret News
Overview of BYU rushing
The Cougars average 307.2 yards per game on the ground, including ouputs of 550 yards against Texas and 309 yards against Middle Tennessee State. Both Virginia and Utah held BYU to just under 200 yards on the ground.
The Cougars employ a lot of read option with quarterback Taysom Hill at the helm. Hill leads the team in rushing and averages 141.2 yards per game and 8.6 yards per rush. Sophomore Jamaal Williams sat out last game with a concussion, but is expected to play against the Aggies. Williams averages 126 yards per game and 5 yards per rush.
BYU rotates its backs frequently and will often run out of an inverted wishbone formation, which features three backs. Paul Lasike and Michael Alisa have both contributed heavily and offensive coordinator Robert Anae indicated that freshman Algie Brown could see more reps after his standout performance against Middle Tennessee. Adam Hine suffered a concussion last week and is questionable for Friday.
UP NEXT: Overview of Utah State rush defense
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working to be...
- An early look at the preseason Heisman hopefuls
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- Mendenhall comfortable with BYU's quarterback...
- Recruiting central: Top 25 prep football...
- High school football: Louis Wong, Tony...
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're proud...
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 104
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 97
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 94
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 49
- Playoffs ‘almost... 36
- Former Ute Zane Beadles donates... 27
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face 25
- BYU cornerback Jordan Johnson has... 24