Former BYU wide receiver Austin Collie signs with New England Patriots
Marcio Jose Sanchez, ASSOCIATED PRESS
Former BYU standout Austin Collie has signed on with a new team looking for wide receiver help: the New England Patriots.
Collie, who was cut by the San Francisco 49ers at the end of August, will now join his third team this season. He was released by the Colts in February, after spending his first four NFL seasons with the team that drafted him in the fourth round in 2009.
New England has been dealing with a variety of injuries to its wide receiving corps this season, and Collie brings experience the Patriots could use.
During Week Four, rookies Kenbrell Thompkins (shoulder) and Aaron Dobson (neck) suffered injuries and were limited in practice Wednesday, ESPN reported. Both rookies have shown promise early in the season: Thompkins has 15 receptions, third among NFL rookies, for 257 yards and three touchdowns; Dobson has 11 receptions for 118 yards and a score.
Those injuries leave New England right now with only two healthy wide receivers: Julian Edelman and Josh Boyce. The Patriots are also waiting for Pro Bowl tight end Rob Gronkowski to return after having back and arm surgery during the offseason.
With the 49ers, Collie had four catches for 43 yards while playing three games during the preseason.
Collie had 173 receptions for 1,845 yards and 16 touchdowns during his career with the Colts. But injuries, including several concussions, plagued Collie after his first NFL season, and Indianapolis chose not to re-sign the former Cougar following the 2012 season.
Email: email@example.com; Twitter: @brandonljudd
- Roger Federer says he is out for Olympics,...
- Mickelson not close to being over runner-up...
- College Football Playoff moves most future...
- Olympic organizers suspect 'isolated'...
- Cavaliers re-sign veteran forward Richard...
- Jimmy Walker opens with 65 at stifling PGA;...
- Akpom scores deciding goal as Arsenal tops...
- Streb shoots 63 and joins Walker in lead at PGA
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 65
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 58
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 57
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 52
- Big 12 watch: BYU's success in football... 40
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 37
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- Former Utah punter Tom Hackett waived... 20