Former BYU wide receiver Austin Collie signs with New England Patriots
Marcio Jose Sanchez, ASSOCIATED PRESS
Former BYU standout Austin Collie has signed on with a new team looking for wide receiver help: the New England Patriots.
Collie, who was cut by the San Francisco 49ers at the end of August, will now join his third team this season. He was released by the Colts in February, after spending his first four NFL seasons with the team that drafted him in the fourth round in 2009.
New England has been dealing with a variety of injuries to its wide receiving corps this season, and Collie brings experience the Patriots could use.
During Week Four, rookies Kenbrell Thompkins (shoulder) and Aaron Dobson (neck) suffered injuries and were limited in practice Wednesday, ESPN reported. Both rookies have shown promise early in the season: Thompkins has 15 receptions, third among NFL rookies, for 257 yards and three touchdowns; Dobson has 11 receptions for 118 yards and a score.
Those injuries leave New England right now with only two healthy wide receivers: Julian Edelman and Josh Boyce. The Patriots are also waiting for Pro Bowl tight end Rob Gronkowski to return after having back and arm surgery during the offseason.
With the 49ers, Collie had four catches for 43 yards while playing three games during the preseason.
Collie had 173 receptions for 1,845 yards and 16 touchdowns during his career with the Colts. But injuries, including several concussions, plagued Collie after his first NFL season, and Indianapolis chose not to re-sign the former Cougar following the 2012 season.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Twitter: @brandonljudd
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose traded from Bulls...
- NHL coming to Las Vegas; New team to start...
- Massive crowd engulfs Cleveland, champion...
- Chile beats Colombia 2-0 to return to Copa...
- Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram and intrigue...
- 24-team Euro 2016 a wacky success
- Nevada gambling regulators to weigh new...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 84
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 31
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 27
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 14