NORTH LOGAN — A woman was hospitalized Wednesday night after ingesting ricin in a North Logan home, police said.
The woman is suspected of trying to commit suicide by boiling and grinding up castor beans in the basement of a home near 2200 North and 740 East, according to North Logan Police Sgt. John Italasano. She then ingested it and called police.
Although the incident occurred in a basement apartment, police cleared the entire house.
The woman was taken to a hospital. Her condition was not available Thursday morning. Others who were upstairs were taken to a hospital and were later released.
Members of the Utah National Guard were called in to help decontaminate the home.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, ricin can be absorbed into the body through ingestion, inhalation or eye contact.
More details will be posted as they become available.
- Funeral services for President Boyd K. Packer...
- Photo gallery: Journey headlines 35th Stadium...
- Should Meagan Grunwald get life without parole?
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of...
- Doug Robinson: Utah's Glen Hanson has had an...
- Photos: A photographic look at President Boyd...
- President Packer's enduring legacy includes...
- Idaho's gay marriage ban remains in state...
- LDS Church donates to Utah Pride... 64
- My view: Move the prison for the sake... 42
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of... 39
- Former Provo High teacher pleads guilty... 24
- Utah senators seeking support for... 16
- My view: Utah lawmakers can protect... 13
- Pig-shaped hot air balloon crashes in... 12
- Rubio, Christie planning sleepover with... 12