USU volleyball: Aggies begin "Dig For A Cure" Campaign with Thursday's match versus New Mexico
LOGAN — October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, and the Utah State volleyball team is raising money for Logan Regional Hospital Foundations's Breast Cancer Services. Pledges are now being gathered for every dig the Aggies make during their six home matches in October as part of USU's "Dig for a Cure" campaign. The campaign tips off with the Aggies match against New Mexico on Thursday, Oct. 3. First serve from the Dee Glen Smith Spectrum is set for 7 p.m.
The Aggies have won four of their last five matches in posting a 9-5 overall record, boosted by winning their first two Mountain West Conference matches as part of taking three of their first four league matches. USU dropped a four-set battle at Fresno State on Thursday night, with all three sets being lost by two points each and all three going to extra points. The Aggies bounced back to sweep the Spartans of San José State on Saturday night.
The Lobos are 11-2 overall and 2-1 in MW action. Last week, UNM beat USU’s former WAC rival New Mexico State on Monday in five sets, before sweeping Wyoming on Thursday night and falling to 19th-ranked Colorado State in five sets. The loss to CSU snapped UNM’s 10-match win streak.
Thursday’s meeting between USU and UNM will be the first since 2006, as well as the 22nd all-time meeting, as the Lobos lead the all-time series, 11-10. UNM has won six of the last seven and 11 of the last 13 meetings.
The Aggies are scheduled to continue their home stand, hosting Air Force on Saturday, Oct. 5 at 7 p.m.
Utah State volleyball tickets are available by contacting the USU Ticket Office at the Dee Glen Smith Spectrum or by calling 1-888-USTATE-1 or (435) 797-0305.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Booker-ing ram and broken dreams: Midseason...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Report: Former BYU receiver Cody Hoffman to...
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 48
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 32
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 26