Utah Jazz notebook: Coach Tyrone Corbin not ready to name a starting lineup yet
Matt Gade, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — If the NBA season started today, it’s likely the Utah Jazz’s first lineup would include rookie Trey Burke, inexperienced starters Derrick Favors, Enes Kanter and Alec Burks, and the comparatively well-seasoned Gordon Hayward.
Whether that remains the same on Oct. 30 is a mystery.
“It’s too early to tell,” Jazz coach Tyrone Corbin said. “We’ll see. We’ll go through training camp here, go through some exhibition games, figure out what gives us the best chance going forward.
“It may change,” he added, “through the course of the year.”
Veteran small forward Richard Jefferson, entering his 13th season, said a variable is not knowing what exactly you’re going to get from younger guys getting their first chance to shine with a lot of minutes and responsibilities.
“You don’t know what you’re going to see from that first group of guys,” Jefferson said. “Gordon is the leading scorer (but) you don’t know if he’s going to be a 22- point scorer. You don’t know what you’re going to see from him. I think that’s the unknown.”
Adds to the excitement and anticipation, right?
“Everyone’s working hard. Everyone,” Jefferson said. “Derrick, Enes, you know the ability that they have, but you don’t know the ceiling that they can reach. You don’t know what the limit is for them. I think everybody has something to prove.”
NOTES: Former Jazz power forward Karl Malone spent time before Wednesday's practice working out with the bigs. The Mailman then sat next to his old coach, Jerry Sloan, the Jazz's senior basketball adviser, on the bleachers while the team did its stretching routine. ... Marvin Williams (heel) and Brandon Rush (knee) did a light workout but have not been cleared to practice yet. ... Corbin said “cohesiveness, learning each other and getting an identity” are among the points of emphasis early in camp. “We have all the boxes to check right now. We’re kind of starting over, so we have a lot of things to figure out.”
- BYU football notebook: Coaches make notable...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker
- Rock On: Utah, please play Idaho State annually
- BYU football enemy camp: 5 questions with a...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Texas will be without starting QB, center for...
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- BYU football: Texas quarterback David Ash out...
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 67
- First steps: Utes open season with... 66
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 35
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28
- BYU's suspended players expected to be... 28