Utah Jazz notebook: Coach Tyrone Corbin not ready to name a starting lineup yet
Matt Gade, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — If the NBA season started today, it’s likely the Utah Jazz’s first lineup would include rookie Trey Burke, inexperienced starters Derrick Favors, Enes Kanter and Alec Burks, and the comparatively well-seasoned Gordon Hayward.
Whether that remains the same on Oct. 30 is a mystery.
“It’s too early to tell,” Jazz coach Tyrone Corbin said. “We’ll see. We’ll go through training camp here, go through some exhibition games, figure out what gives us the best chance going forward.
“It may change,” he added, “through the course of the year.”
Veteran small forward Richard Jefferson, entering his 13th season, said a variable is not knowing what exactly you’re going to get from younger guys getting their first chance to shine with a lot of minutes and responsibilities.
“You don’t know what you’re going to see from that first group of guys,” Jefferson said. “Gordon is the leading scorer (but) you don’t know if he’s going to be a 22- point scorer. You don’t know what you’re going to see from him. I think that’s the unknown.”
Adds to the excitement and anticipation, right?
“Everyone’s working hard. Everyone,” Jefferson said. “Derrick, Enes, you know the ability that they have, but you don’t know the ceiling that they can reach. You don’t know what the limit is for them. I think everybody has something to prove.”
NOTES: Former Jazz power forward Karl Malone spent time before Wednesday's practice working out with the bigs. The Mailman then sat next to his old coach, Jerry Sloan, the Jazz's senior basketball adviser, on the bleachers while the team did its stretching routine. ... Marvin Williams (heel) and Brandon Rush (knee) did a light workout but have not been cleared to practice yet. ... Corbin said “cohesiveness, learning each other and getting an identity” are among the points of emphasis early in camp. “We have all the boxes to check right now. We’re kind of starting over, so we have a lot of things to figure out.”
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Watch it live: 4A girls soccer semifinals
- The Heisman Trophy tracker, Week 8: A Utah...
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 48
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 39
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 29
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26