“CONSIDER THE BLESSINGS: True Accounts of God’s Hand in Our Lives,” by Thomas S. Monson, Deseret Book, $22.99, 150 pages (nf)
Photo slides. A box of baseballs and softballs. Two sticks of gum. A one-eyed pigeon. “Whiskers” on white sidewall tires. A broken radio that played “Music and the Spoken Word.”
These, along with the faith, obedience and determination of people he has met, are in the 50 stories that LDS Church President Thomas S. Monson shares in “Consider the Blessings: True Accounts of God’s Hand in Our Lives.”
The experiences include those from when he was boy in Primary and in his teens, when he served in the military, as a young bishop, mission president and as he traveled around the country and the globe to visit members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Each story is illustrated with photos and comes with a lesson or example of how the Lord touches lives and answers prayers through others.
“Our Heavenly Father is aware of our needs and will help us as we call upon him for assistance,” President Monson concludes in a story of how a young man, who was indecisive about serving a mission, came to their aid one frigid night when President and Sister Monson’s car stopped working. “I believe that no concern of ours is too small or insignificant. The Lord is in the details of our lives.”
Some of the experiences are of pivotal moments in President Monson’s life and others share the effect of following a prompting, no matter how unusual or seemingly insignificant, and by simply being in the right place at the right time.
“Consider the Blessings” is in commemoration of President Monson’s 50 years as an apostle. He was called as a member of the Quorum of the Twelve in 1963.
The cover image is by LDS Church News editor Gerry Avant when President Monson visited the place he dedicated for the preaching of the gospel in then-East Germany.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: CTRappleye
- Mormon missionaries shine shoes, teach the...
- Christmas lights on Temple Square in pictures...
- LDS missionaries developing strategies to...
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional tradition
- Mormon-raised Paul Walker remembered for...
- LDS growth in India draws media attention
- Space and religion: How believers view latest...
- Tabernacle hosts annual LDS Latino Christmas...
- Cardinal Dolan says Catholic church... 38
- Notre Dame sues over health care law's... 31
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged... 29
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say... 25
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional... 24
- LDS missionaries developing strategies... 22
- Defending the Faith: 'Pleased as man... 20
- What's new: 'Women and the Priesthood'... 16