Why those who need Obamacare the most might have the hardest time signing up for it
David J. Phillip, Associated Press
The Affordable Care Act has faced much well-documented opposition amidst its controversial roll-out, but one of the more surprising criticisms is aimed at the website used to aid those who want to enroll in the program.
As The New York Times wrote Tuesday, the focus on the website to aid the new law's implementation may have “driven a larger wedge between technologically adept Americans and those who have yet to fully embrace the social Web and mobile technology.”
In other words, if the point of the Affordable Care Act is to make health care more accessible, its reliance on technology might have an adverse effect on those who need it most.
According to Maeve Duggan, a research assistant at the Pew Research Center’s Internet and American Life project, demographic groups that are least likely to use the Internet — those in lower-income households, Hispanics and those who have not attended college, to name a few — are also least likely to have health care coverage.
“Some of these groups are also less likely to seek health information online in general,” Duggan writes, citing the same study.
“One group that may benefit from online access to health exchanges is young people,” Duggan continues. “When it came to seeking information specifically about health insurance, online young adults were equally likely as older Internet users to have sought that kind of information.”
- 25 cities that are winning at education
- 5 reasons your most talented employees will...
- 4 warning signs your teen is destined for bad...
- Germany to Greece: Don't mess with us over...
- Child grooms of Nepal are married off as...
- Markets brace for Big Oil profit plunge
- Consumers fuel steady US economy as rest of...
- Germany: Talk of axing Greek debt 'divorced...
- Most K-12 students are now low income 10
- After setting iPhone record, what does... 5
- US consumer confidence jumps to 7... 3
- Obama to seek to bust spending limits... 3
- 5 reasons your most talented employees... 3
- Want a one-of-a-kind name for your... 2
- Tess Frame: Five reasons you’re... 1
- Markets brace for Big Oil profit plunge 1