Why those who need Obamacare the most might have the hardest time signing up for it
David J. Phillip, Associated Press
The Affordable Care Act has faced much well-documented opposition amidst its controversial roll-out, but one of the more surprising criticisms is aimed at the website used to aid those who want to enroll in the program.
As The New York Times wrote Tuesday, the focus on the website to aid the new law's implementation may have “driven a larger wedge between technologically adept Americans and those who have yet to fully embrace the social Web and mobile technology.”
In other words, if the point of the Affordable Care Act is to make health care more accessible, its reliance on technology might have an adverse effect on those who need it most.
According to Maeve Duggan, a research assistant at the Pew Research Center’s Internet and American Life project, demographic groups that are least likely to use the Internet — those in lower-income households, Hispanics and those who have not attended college, to name a few — are also least likely to have health care coverage.
“Some of these groups are also less likely to seek health information online in general,” Duggan writes, citing the same study.
“One group that may benefit from online access to health exchanges is young people,” Duggan continues. “When it came to seeking information specifically about health insurance, online young adults were equally likely as older Internet users to have sought that kind of information.”
- US growth is thought to have rebounded in...
- Italian banks under glare as EU stress tests...
- Officials encourage travelers not to shun...
- Dave Ramsey says: Knowing when to raise prices
- Michelle Singletary: Tying the knot shouldn't...
- How to recognize the signs of a scam artist
- Sturt & Nordstrom: Pokemon Go says something...
- Utah among 'most successful states';...
- How to recognize the signs of a scam... 5
- US growth is thought to have rebounded... 1
- Michelle Singletary: Tying the knot... 1
- Italian banks under glare as EU stress... 0
- Officials encourage travelers not to... 0
- Dave Ramsey says: Knowing when to raise... 0
- Sturt & Nordstrom: Pokemon Go says... 0
- Utah among 'most successful states';... 0