Why those who need Obamacare the most might have the hardest time signing up for it
David J. Phillip, Associated Press
The Affordable Care Act has faced much well-documented opposition amidst its controversial roll-out, but one of the more surprising criticisms is aimed at the website used to aid those who want to enroll in the program.
As The New York Times wrote Tuesday, the focus on the website to aid the new law's implementation may have “driven a larger wedge between technologically adept Americans and those who have yet to fully embrace the social Web and mobile technology.”
In other words, if the point of the Affordable Care Act is to make health care more accessible, its reliance on technology might have an adverse effect on those who need it most.
According to Maeve Duggan, a research assistant at the Pew Research Center’s Internet and American Life project, demographic groups that are least likely to use the Internet — those in lower-income households, Hispanics and those who have not attended college, to name a few — are also least likely to have health care coverage.
“Some of these groups are also less likely to seek health information online in general,” Duggan writes, citing the same study.
“One group that may benefit from online access to health exchanges is young people,” Duggan continues. “When it came to seeking information specifically about health insurance, online young adults were equally likely as older Internet users to have sought that kind of information.”
- The disappearing 401(k) and inequality
- Driving forces: When buying a new car is...
- Utah unemployment rate hits five-year low
- 14 weird taxes across America
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't waste your time,...
- Renovation Solutions: The power of color choice
- Survey: Cost a growing factor in college...
- 'Deseret News National Edition' looks at CPAC...
- The disappearing 401(k) and inequality 17
- Dwindling pensions still swindling... 12
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't waste your... 12
- Utah unemployment rate hits five-year low 10
- High steaks: Beef prices mooove up 2
- Survey: Cost a growing factor in... 1
- Here are 5 clues to the health of US... 1
- Is Comcast-Time Warner merger creating... 1