Alexei Druzhinin, Associated Press
Russian President Vladimir Putin has been officially nominated to receive the Nobel Peace Prize.
Although Putin is credited with commanding a war against Chechnya, launching an attack on Georgia over a border dispute and is the president of the country known to be the largest supplier of weapons to President Bashar al-Assad's regime in Syria, an advocacy group has nominated him for the prize.
The Russian group, International Academy of Spiritual Unity and Cooperation of Peoples of the World, put in Putin's name for his role in formulating a peaceful resolution to the Syria-United States dispute over chemical weapons last month.
Members of the group say Putin is much more deserving of the prize than President Obama, who received the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize.
"Barack Obama has the title of Nobel Prize winner — the man who initiated and approved such aggressive actions on the part of the United States of America as in Iraq, Afghanistan, some others, and now is preparing for invasion of Syria," Iosif Kobzon, a popular Russian singer and a member of Parliament, said at a news conference. "I think our president, who is trying to stop the bloodshed, who is trying to help to resolve this conflict situation through a political dialogue, through diplomatic language, deserves this title more."
According to the will of Alfred Nobel, the peace prize is to go to "the person who shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses."
Nominations for the 2013 Nobel Peace Prize had to be postmarked by Feb. 1, 2013, so the nomination will be for the 2014 prize. This year's award is to be announced on Oct. 11 in Oslo, Norway.
- Have you seen 'Age of Ultron'? Here are 50...
- Floyd Mayweather wins decision over Manny...
- LA man builds small home for homeless lady
- Britain has a new princess — and...
- Governor, legislators leave 'baggage' behind...
- 'Avengers' sequel is second biggest US opener...
- 18 of the best made-up words from children's...
- Here's a quiz to test your Star Wars...
- Opposing sides of same-sex marriage... 125
- Outcome of same-sex marriage case hard... 54
- Religious liberty issues dog Supreme... 44
- Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders: 'I am... 40
- Rage to relief in Baltimore as 6... 40
- Defending the Faith: Going up to Jerusalem 25
- Latest on police-custody death: Curfew... 22
- Michelle Singletary: Stop picking on... 21