Provo police searching for 3 people in robbery of jewelry courier
PROVO — Police are on the hunt for three people who they say robbed a jewelry courier Tuesday.
Around 2:20 p.m., Provo police responded to Provo Towne Centre to investigate a robbery at a jewelry store.
A jewelry courier had just stepped out of the store when three people pulled up next to him wearing black hoodies and clothes over their faces. Police believe they were driving a 2004-07 gray Honda Odyssey, according to Provo Police Lt. Mathew Siufanua.
A witness who saw the robbery from another part of the parking lot said he could see two of the people in the van, who he described as a "skinny white guy" and a woman in her mid-20s.
One man got out of the van and held the courier at knife point, while the woman got out and took the jewelry he was carrying, Siufanua said.
Before the trio fled with the jewelry, the man with the knife slashed a tire on a car the victim was standing by before leaving the scene, possibly believing it belonged to the courier, Siufanua said. It didn't.
Police believe the robbery was carefully planned because of how precisely timed it was, Siufanua said.
"We do believe this was a very organized and planned crime by individuals who were well prepared," he said. "That's why we're hoping that anyone with information will give us a call.
Anyone with information about the robbery is asked to call Provo police at 801-852-6200.
— Whitney Evans
- Husband and wife of 74 years die hours apart...
- Ed and Elizabeth Smart make plea for help in...
- 22 songs Utahns love singing in the car
- Former Romney finance chairman courting a...
- Former wrestlers charged, assistant coach...
- Utah man accused of rape is no stranger to...
- Utah construction companies fined, ordered to...
- Utah in top 10 for visitor spending at...
- Poll: LDS Church influence over... 60
- Utah GOP leaders going forward with new... 59
- Josh Romney: I won't run against Sen.... 56
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy... 42
- Former Romney finance chairman courting... 36
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and... 20
- Former Davis High teacher admits to... 19
- Tickets sell out for 'Book of Mormon'... 16