Provo police searching for 3 people in robbery of jewelry courier
PROVO — Police are on the hunt for three people who they say robbed a jewelry courier Tuesday.
Around 2:20 p.m., Provo police responded to Provo Towne Centre to investigate a robbery at a jewelry store.
A jewelry courier had just stepped out of the store when three people pulled up next to him wearing black hoodies and clothes over their faces. Police believe they were driving a 2004-07 gray Honda Odyssey, according to Provo Police Lt. Mathew Siufanua.
A witness who saw the robbery from another part of the parking lot said he could see two of the people in the van, who he described as a "skinny white guy" and a woman in her mid-20s.
One man got out of the van and held the courier at knife point, while the woman got out and took the jewelry he was carrying, Siufanua said.
Before the trio fled with the jewelry, the man with the knife slashed a tire on a car the victim was standing by before leaving the scene, possibly believing it belonged to the courier, Siufanua said. It didn't.
Police believe the robbery was carefully planned because of how precisely timed it was, Siufanua said.
"We do believe this was a very organized and planned crime by individuals who were well prepared," he said. "That's why we're hoping that anyone with information will give us a call.
Anyone with information about the robbery is asked to call Provo police at 801-852-6200.
— Whitney Evans
- Draper house explodes into flames,...
- Parade spectators celebrate pioneers past and...
- Habitual offender arrested in alleged...
- Deseret News Classic: Marathon, half...
- A photographic look back at the Days of '47...
- Federal land managers criticized over...
- Fire near Rockport Reservoir nearly half...
- Satellites track drought-driven groundwater...
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 46
- Federal land managers criticized over... 16
- Renewable energy advocates decry... 16
- Union Pacific train makes special... 15
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake... 15
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed... 14
- Student attitudes changing on healthy... 14
- Protesters from across U.S. arrested at... 13