Provo police searching for 3 people in robbery of jewelry courier
PROVO — Police are on the hunt for three people who they say robbed a jewelry courier Tuesday.
Around 2:20 p.m., Provo police responded to Provo Towne Centre to investigate a robbery at a jewelry store.
A jewelry courier had just stepped out of the store when three people pulled up next to him wearing black hoodies and clothes over their faces. Police believe they were driving a 2004-07 gray Honda Odyssey, according to Provo Police Lt. Mathew Siufanua.
A witness who saw the robbery from another part of the parking lot said he could see two of the people in the van, who he described as a "skinny white guy" and a woman in her mid-20s.
One man got out of the van and held the courier at knife point, while the woman got out and took the jewelry he was carrying, Siufanua said.
Before the trio fled with the jewelry, the man with the knife slashed a tire on a car the victim was standing by before leaving the scene, possibly believing it belonged to the courier, Siufanua said. It didn't.
Police believe the robbery was carefully planned because of how precisely timed it was, Siufanua said.
"We do believe this was a very organized and planned crime by individuals who were well prepared," he said. "That's why we're hoping that anyone with information will give us a call.
Anyone with information about the robbery is asked to call Provo police at 801-852-6200.
— Whitney Evans
- Man stole ring, woman swallowed it, police say
- Wet, cool August delivered more than twice...
- World-renowned rock art in Utah is younger...
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns Utahns of...
- Family of fallen officer Derek Johnson...
- Circleville farmers scratching their heads...
- No timeline announced yet for Cottonwood Mall...
- Why would a parent abandon a child? A look at...
- Attorney general deciding whether to... 41
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh... 39
- Newborn found in trash can brings call... 34
- Becky Lockhart serious about... 31
- Parents say daughter didn't understand... 22
- Gay rights activists to fight charges... 22
- Police reviewing possible nightclub... 16
- Winning plaintiffs in 3 states want... 14