Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
TAYLORSVILLE — The city's annual Veterans Day parade and program will take place next month, including a poster and essay contest for students.
The poster contest is for first- through fourth-grade students, while the essay contest is for fifth- through eighth-grade students. Entries may be submitted until 5 p.m. Friday, Oct. 25, at the receptionist's desk on the second floor of the west end of City Hall, 2600 W. Taylorsville Blvd.
The parade will start at 11 a.m. Monday, Nov. 11, along 2700 West at the Taylorsville Library to 5400 South to Taylorsville City Hall. It is co-sponsored by the the city and the United Veterans Council of Greater Salt Lake City and County.
The program will take place following the parade at 12:15 p.m. at the Veterans Memorial at Taylorsville in front of City Hall. The event will feature honor guard, patriotic music, guest speakers and the recognition of contest winners. There will be hot dogs, chili and drinks for sale. Proceeds go to the Military Assistance Program for Veterans’ Families.
There will be a World War II display in the City Council chambers, along with permanent displays of local Veterans.
The first-place winners of the essay contest for each grade will be invited to read their winning entries at the Veterans Day program and will receive a certificate of recognition from Mayor Jerry Rechtenbach. Their essays will be posted on the city’s website.
First-place winners of the poster contest will receive a certificate of recognition during the program, and their posters will be displayed in City Hall and on the city’s website.
- After more than 6 years, 3 families yearn for...
- Strong winds cause damage, possibly fatal...
- Millcreek man faces child abuse homicide...
- Sen. Orrin Hatch headed to Israel to meet...
- About Utah: Want a ride to the past? Matt...
- 7 crazy-awesome natural arches and bridges in...
- Thousands attend second Utah Lantern Fest
- Smithfield man charged with murdering his father
- With Trump on top, Romney will not... 90
- Utah GOP all in for Cruz, but Trump... 59
- Dog accused of biting child ordered to... 49
- Utah GOP leaders ready to support... 47
- Award recipient's affiliation draws ire... 36
- Romney 'dismayed' by presidential... 36
- Climate change and national forests:... 34
- Robert F. Bennett, former three-term... 28