"My heart has seldom been as touched and grateful as it was when Sister Monson and I literally spent hours reading of these gifts. My heart is full now as I speak of the experience and contemplate the lives which have been blessed as a result, for both the giver and the receiver," he said in his conference address.
In 1984, President Monson produced the idea of a multi-stake conference, replacing area conferences and instructing the Saints to live better lives.
"Resolve to make room in your life for Jesus Christ. We have time for jogging, time for working, time for playing. Let us make time for Christ," he told one congregation, as recounted in "To the Rescue."
He used the opportunity to counsel the Saints to heed the words of the prophet and of the spirit.
Woven throughout each word of counsel is the underlying message of the Savior, Jesus Christ, and hs ultimate sacrifice — a gift which President Monson reminds members of the LDS Church to be constantly grateful for.
"It is my prayer that in addition to all else for which we are grateful, we may ever reflect our gratitude for our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. His glorious gospel provides answers to life’s greatest questions ... That gospel brings to those who live in darkness the light of divine truth," he said in his October 2010 conference talk, "The Divine Gift of Gratitude."
Emmilie Buchanan-Whitlock is an intern for the Deseret News with Mormon Times. She recently graduated from Brigham Young University-Idaho. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: emmiliewhitlock
- Defending the Faith: Joseph, the stone and...
- Returning LDS missionary, father battling...
- 'A marvellous work and a wonder': A look back...
- LDS Church releases Easter video, campaign
- Why I don’t call myself a ‘Mormon...
- 18 must-see attractions on and around Temple...
- Significant LDS Church history discovery made
- Heaven can wait, Christian bookstore chain says
- Defending the Faith: Joseph, the stone... 134
- Why I don’t call myself a... 91
- 'A marvellous work and a wonder': A... 52
- What Mormons should know about NBC's... 51
- Kara Tippetts, Christian who blogged... 26
- Why Ted Cruz launched his presidential... 17
- Heaven can wait, Christian bookstore... 17
- Alternative rock/indie band of 5... 9