"My heart has seldom been as touched and grateful as it was when Sister Monson and I literally spent hours reading of these gifts. My heart is full now as I speak of the experience and contemplate the lives which have been blessed as a result, for both the giver and the receiver," he said in his conference address.
In 1984, President Monson produced the idea of a multi-stake conference, replacing area conferences and instructing the Saints to live better lives.
"Resolve to make room in your life for Jesus Christ. We have time for jogging, time for working, time for playing. Let us make time for Christ," he told one congregation, as recounted in "To the Rescue."
He used the opportunity to counsel the Saints to heed the words of the prophet and of the spirit.
Woven throughout each word of counsel is the underlying message of the Savior, Jesus Christ, and hs ultimate sacrifice — a gift which President Monson reminds members of the LDS Church to be constantly grateful for.
"It is my prayer that in addition to all else for which we are grateful, we may ever reflect our gratitude for our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. His glorious gospel provides answers to life’s greatest questions ... That gospel brings to those who live in darkness the light of divine truth," he said in his October 2010 conference talk, "The Divine Gift of Gratitude."
Emmilie Buchanan-Whitlock is an intern for the Deseret News with Mormon Times. She recently graduated from Brigham Young University-Idaho. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: emmiliewhitlock
- 'Because of Him': LDS video on Christ...
- Miracles found at new temple in Florida
- First Presidency Easter Message
- Tabernacle Choir performs Handel's 'Messiah'...
- The story behind the missionary reality TV...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir celebrates Easter...
- Watch: Mormon Tabernacle Choir performs...
- How much did President Obama donate to his...
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration 107
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion 89
- Zeroing in on religious hubs, atheists... 78
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite... 77
- The Book of Mormon claims No. 1 spot on... 51
- How much did President Obama donate to... 46
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Tipping points:... 37
- Elizabeth Smart talks forgiveness and... 24