1 cup frozen peas
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Boil potatoes in salted water until tender, about 12 minutes.
Combine the sour cream, egg yolk and milk. Set aside.
While potatoes are boiling, heat a large skillet over medium heat, adding the oil, beef or turkey. Season with salt and pepper. As the meat browns, crumble into fine pieces. Cook 3 to 4 minutes. Add carrots and onion and continue to cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
Remove the potatoes from the stove and drain. Pour into a bowl and combine with the sour cream mixture. Mix well by hand or using a hand mixer. Set aside.
Continue stirring the meat mixture.
In a second small skillet, heat butter and flour over medium heat, stirring well for 2 minutes. Whisk in beef broth and Worcestershire sauce. Thicken gravy 1 minute. Add gravy to meat and vegetables. Add the frozen peas. Preheat broiler in oven to high heat.
Fill a casserole dish with meat and vegetable mixture. Spoon the potatoes over the meat and spread evenly. Sprinkle the top of the potato crust with paprika and broil 6 to 8 inches from the heat until golden brown. This recipe will serve eight hearty portions.
CUISINE'S COLE SLAW
For the salad:
3 cups shredded cabbage (or 12 ounce bag)
1 finely grated carrot
2 cups jicama, cut into strips
2 cups oranges sections, cut in half
½ medium green pepper, yellow pepper and red pepper cut into strips
1 small red onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
For the dressing:
4 tablespoons salad oil
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon soy sauce
¾ teaspoon dry mustard
For the garnish:
1 whole orange with peel, thinly sliced into rings and slit halfway through
Combine all salad ingredients and toss well. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
Combine all dressing ingredients and mix well in a blender. Pour into a container and refrigerate until ready to serve the salad. Shake dressing again before adding to salad mixture. Lightly toss until all ingredients are well coated.
Pour salad onto platter and garnish with twisted orange and stems of cilantro.
POTATO CHIP COOKIES
Makes: 24 medium cookies
1 cup softened butter
½ cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- When Satan steals your motherhood
- Lehi airman pulls off 'Operation Surprise'...
- Dad tires of hearing hit 'Frozen' song,...
- How new research on chemicals in household...
- Instead of 'Game of Thrones,' there are...
- 'Pay the price or go dark': Going digital a...
- Kids are still reading 'Calvin and Hobbes'
- Doug Robinson: Reuniting families — One...
- When Satan steals your motherhood 41
- Girls who play with Barbie may not see... 12
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Our love-hate... 11
- The rough road of single motherhood... 11
- Instead of 'Game of Thrones,' there are... 11
- 'Pay the price or go dark': Going... 9
- Lehi airman pulls off 'Operation... 8
- Dad tires of hearing hit 'Frozen' song,... 7