Government shutdown could postpone weekend's Navy-Air Force game
David Zalubowski, ASSOCIATED PRESS
The federal government entered a shutdown early Tuesday morning for the first time in 17 years. While the government shutdown might not change your work schedule, it has a good chance to influence what football games you can watch this week.
The Navy-Air Force football game which was scheduled to air on national television this Saturday (11:30 a.m. ET on CBS) could be postponed. Some fans will have to consider canceling flight plans, since the sold-out game might not even take place.
According to a press release by the Naval Academy, "The Department of Defense has suspended all intercollegiate athletic competitions at the Service Academies. The Naval Academy will cancel contests as appropriate and notification on Saturday's football game against Air Force will be made public prior to 12 noon on Thursday."
So why exactly would a football game be canceled? Troy Garnhart, an associate athletic director at the Air Force Academy, was quoted in USA Today Sports as saying that upper-class cadets there are considered military personnel, so travel restrictions could affect them under the shutdown.
However, Naval Academy spokesman Scott Strasemeier told USA Today that "nothing has changed at this point." Strasemeier said he had no further information about the potential postponement.
Another game that could be postponed is the game between Army and Boston College this Saturday, but the outcome is still up in the air.
Heading into the game, Air Force (1-4) is on a four-game losing streak, having lost all four of its Mountain West Conference games. Meanwhile, Navy (2-1) looks to bounce back after a disappointing loss last week to Western Kentucky.
To read more, visit www.usatoday.com.
Justin is a recent graduate of the University of Utah. EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
Read more about the influence of a shutdown has on football games this week on USA Today Sports.
- The Utah football 100: Ranking the best...
- BYU basketball: What we learned from 4 games...
- High school football roundup for Friday, Aug. 28
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU best-case,...
- BYU football: With opener one week away,...
- Friday night lights: Live coverage of the...
- New York Jets waive former BYU quarterback...
- Dick Harmon: BYU workhorse running back Nate...
- Morning links: Cougars, Utes to face... 74
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU... 61
- Rock On: Sarkisian runs afoul of BYU... 39
- BYU football: Lone Peak's Jackson... 31
- New York Jets waive former BYU... 29
- Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars find new... 28
- Morning links: Utes are the Pac-12's 'X... 27
- Doug Robinson: No days off on Utes'... 24