David Zalubowski, ASSOCIATED PRESS
The federal government entered a shutdown early Tuesday morning for the first time in 17 years. While the government shutdown might not change your work schedule, it has a good chance to influence what football games you can watch this week.
The Navy-Air Force football game which was scheduled to air on national television this Saturday (11:30 a.m. ET on CBS) could be postponed. Some fans will have to consider canceling flight plans, since the sold-out game might not even take place.
According to a press release by the Naval Academy, "The Department of Defense has suspended all intercollegiate athletic competitions at the Service Academies. The Naval Academy will cancel contests as appropriate and notification on Saturday's football game against Air Force will be made public prior to 12 noon on Thursday."
So why exactly would a football game be canceled? Troy Garnhart, an associate athletic director at the Air Force Academy, was quoted in USA Today Sports as saying that upper-class cadets there are considered military personnel, so travel restrictions could affect them under the shutdown.
However, Naval Academy spokesman Scott Strasemeier told USA Today that "nothing has changed at this point." Strasemeier said he had no further information about the potential postponement.
Another game that could be postponed is the game between Army and Boston College this Saturday, but the outcome is still up in the air.
Heading into the game, Air Force (1-4) is on a four-game losing streak, having lost all four of its Mountain West Conference games. Meanwhile, Navy (2-1) looks to bounce back after a disappointing loss last week to Western Kentucky.
To read more, visit www.usatoday.com.
Justin is a recent graduate of the University of Utah. EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
Read more about the influence of a shutdown has on football games this week on USA Today Sports.
- BYU basketball: 3 players record...
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged to Miss...
- Local NFL watch: How Utah players fared in...
- LDS general authorities make appearance at...
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up just...
- Utah Jazz: A few slices of holiday spirit...
- High school basketball: Tuesday's prep roundup
- Utah Jazz: Comparisons inevitable between...
- Mike Sorensen: Despite disappointing... 183
- BYU football: Cougar offense rebounds... 84
- Utah football: Utes end season with... 76
- BYU, Utah State basketball: Second-half... 74
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 65
- College football re-rankings: Where do... 56
- Unbeaten Utes hit the road for the... 55
- Sources: Former BYU quarterback Steve... 48