Utah Utes football: Utah QB Travis Wilson, UCLA QB Brett Hundley share similarities
Tony Avelar, ASSOCIATED PRESS
SALT LAKE CITY — When it comes to quarterbacks, Utah and 12th-ranked UCLA have a lot in common. Starters Travis Wilson and Brett Hundley bring a lot of similarities into Thursday night’s Pac-12 showdown at Rice-Eccles Stadium.
“There’s a real good comparison between those two guys and it’s going to be an intriguing matchup — the quarterbacks going against each other head to head,” said Utah coach Kyle Whittingham. “What Travis brings to the table and makes him difficult to defend, Hundley does the same thing for the Bruins.”
Whittingham noted that the sophomores (both born in 1993) have similar pass efficiency numbers and both run the ball well.
Entering this week’s game, Wilson has a pass efficiency rating of 166.6, which ranks third in the Pac-12. Hundley is fourth at 165.9. They’re also third and fourth in total offense, with Wilson holding a 342.3 to 335 yards per game edge over Hundley.
However, when it comes to passing yards per game, Hundley holds a 282.7 to 279.5 advantage over Wilson — putting them sixth and seventh, respectively, in the conference. Wilson holds the upper hand in rushing, averaging 62.7 yards per game compared to 52.3 for Hundley.
“They’re both mobile quarterbacks, very versatile,” said Utah defensive end Nate Orchard. “They can throw on the run and do all these amazing things.”
COACHING CHANGES: Whittingham commented on the firing of USC coach Lane Kiffin.
“The nature of the profession right now is not very patient,” he said. “There’s a lot of money at stake. It’s big business.”
Whittingham also noted that Connecticut coach Paul Pasqualoni was let go after last weekend’s games.
“That’s how it is. There’s no change in it,” Whittingham said. “I don’t think there’s anybody that doesn’t want to win in the worst way and is far more concerned with that than what’s going on externally.
“And so all you do is just do the best job you can,” he continued. “And the other stuff that is out of your control you don’t really worry about.”
EXTRA POINTS: Utah’s home game against Stanford on Saturday, Oct. 12 will kick off at 4 p.m. and be broadcast on the Pac-12 Networks. ... Former NFL quarterback Dan Fouts is part of the Sports USA radio team that is calling Thursday’s game nationally. ... The Utes are 6-2 following bye weeks under Whittingham. ... UCLA defensive end Cassius Marsh is the son of former Utah wide receiver Curtis Marsh.
No. 12 UCLA (3-0, 0-0)
at Utah (3-1, 0-1)
Thursday, 8 p.m.
TV: FOX Sports 1
- Boise State blasts BYU 55-30, Mendenhall...
- Dick Harmon: Boise State embarrasses a...
- High school football: State tournament pairings
- Plenty of blame to go around for Cougars...
- Utah-USC: Battle of ranked teams at...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz wrap up preseason play at 5-3...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's defense needs Bronco...
- BYU football report card: Boise State's big...
- Boise State blasts BYU 55-30,... 113
- Dick Harmon: Utes climb on big stage;... 75
- Dick Harmon: Boise State embarrasses a... 61
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some... 26
- Utes picked to finish 2nd in Pac-12... 24
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave... 21
- Beast mode: Utah running back Devontae... 18
- BYU walk-on Carter makes most of... 18