11-year-old boy dies in accidental hanging on exercise equipment
EAGLE MOUNTAIN — Utah County sheriff's investigators say an 11-year-old boy died Sunday after accidentally hanging himself on a piece of exercise equipment in his house.
"It was just exercise equipment. I don't know exactly what kind," said Utah County Sheriff's Sgt. Spencer Cannon. "There was nothing unusual about it, where it was set up or how it was set up that made it seem overtly risky, just to look at it."
Orion Gunderson, of Eagle Mountain, was taken to American Fork Hospital and then flown by medical helicopter to Primary Children's Medical Center in extremely critical condition Sunday afternoon. He died from his injuries Monday morning.
The incident happened about 11:30 a.m. Sunday. Orion had been playing with some exercise equipment in his house. His younger brother told their father "something wasn't right," Cannon said.
"The father came down and found him and removed him from the device and called 911. It wasn't like something tipped over and suffocated him," he said.
Cannon didn't know exactly what kind of exercise equipment was involved, but noted that ropes were involved. He said the incident appeared to be nothing more than a tragic accident.
— Pat Reavy
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic' national...
- Three hurt when ATV explodes into flames as...
- Photo gallery: Deseret News Classic 5K
- Ogden man dies following U.S. 89 motorcycle...
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 65
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 64
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 30
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 24
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 24
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 21
- Shurtleff exonerated, but questions and... 18