Breaking down the in-state rivalries in 2013: BYU at Utah State
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
Editor's Note: This is part three in a three-part series on the in-state games this year.
Both the Aggies and the Cougars had something in common last year: they both had incredibly stout defenses that could stand toe to toe with some of college football’s best teams, even if it meant not necessarily winning. The Ags suffered a close defeat to Wisconsin 16-14, while the Cougars dropped a heartbreaker to Boise State 7-6. As such, there was plenty of hype leading up to last year’s contest in LaVell Edwards Stadium.
The result was not nearly as exciting as many had hoped.
Still, a marvelous defensive effort ensured that touchdown would ultimately be enough. The Aggies scored a field goal earlier and had another chance in the fourth quarter to tie the game with another field goal, but Josh Thompson’s kick sailed off to the side. Nobody would score again in this game, and the Cougars held on to win 6-3.
Both teams had a difficult time finding a good offensive rhythm, and, while both gained yards, both had trouble scoring. This was a true defensive slugfest reminiscent of the 2003 Utah-BYU rivalry game, where the Utes edged the Cougars 3-0.
Though the Cougars won, Hill sustained a season-ending leg injury on the final play of the game. Utah State never lost again and finished with the best season in school history while BYU faced some additional setbacks against Oregon State and Notre Dame, a result many considered a truly wasted opportunity.
Sam McConkie is a technical and professional writing graduate from Utah State University. Email: email@example.com
- Brad Rock: When it comes to rioting, Miami...
- After year layoff, BYU's Kurtz happy to be...
- Jazz grind out impressive 93-82 win in Memphis
- 1A boys basketball tournament: roundup of...
- BYU football: Christian Stewart returns to...
- Morning links: Jazz's sudden rise; SI breaks...
- Dick Harmon: Work of BYU's new strength coach...
- The name game: pronouncing the names of the...
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70 110
- Utes come up short in Pac-12 battle... 83
- Discipline a focus of spring ball for... 74
- Holmoe assesses the state of the... 51
- Mike Sorensen: How about a Utah-BYU... 44
- About Utah: Replace the prison with the... 42
- Brad Rock: When it comes to rioting,... 41
- Morning links: Is BYU now in the... 40