Jaren Wilkey/BYU, Jaren Wilkey/BYU
PROVO – Sophomore outside hitter Alexa Gray won her first West Coast Conference Player of the Week award of the season after leading the BYU women's volleyball team to a pair of home wins against conference foes Saint Mary's and Pacific.
Gray recorded 33 kills, while hitting a .441 clip, and added three digs and seven total blocks in the two victories.
The Cougars (10-3, 3-0 WCC) first took on the Gaels on Thursday. They were led to a win by Gray's 21 kills, three digs and five total blocks in the five-set victory. Gray hit a .452 clip against Saint Mary's, accounting for just two errors.
BYU then took on conference newcomer Pacific on Saturday. The Cougars swept the Tigers, again led by Gray. She had 12 kills from 26 attempts for .423 hitting with just one error in the Cougars' third straight conference win. Gray also contributed two block assists in the three-set victory.
The Cougars are the only undefeated conference team remaining in the WCC. They continue play Thursday at Pepperdine. The match will be broadcast live on ESPNU at 8 p.m. PDT.
Royce Hinton is the women's volleyball sports information director for BYU Athletic Communications.
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks about...
- Morning links: Steve Young quotes Joseph...
- Underrated East Carolina will test BYU's defense
- Plenty of familiarity between coaching staffs...
- Corso and headgear and signs, oh, my: What...
- Morning links: ESPN takes deep dive into Utah...
- BYU football: East Carolina in 6 numbers
- BYU star soccer player Michele Murphy...
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 53
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 46
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks... 39
- BYU coaches continue helping players... 22
- Underrated East Carolina will test... 19
- Red and blue recruits: Utes reap... 17
- Ansah, Wagner or Weddle: Which local... 14
- BYU's defense, among nation's leaders... 12