Officer shoots, kills Grantsville man following standoff
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
GRANTSVILLE — A Grantsville man died early Monday from injuries he received when he was shot by police Sunday night.
Travis Claye Davis, 37, was shot when he came out of the back of his house, 54 W. Clark St., and threatened three officers with a gun, said Grantsville Police Chief Kevin Turner.
One of the officers fired one shot. Davis was taken to a local hospital, where he died of his injuries.
The incident began just before 8 p.m. Sunday when Grantsville police were notified by the man's relatives that they were concerned about him and wanted officers to check on him.
"I believe he had some life events that were causing him to question things, and he was reaching out for some help," Turner said.
The scene "quickly escalated" and additional officers were called to the house, he said. Davis then barricaded himself inside for several hours. He eventually came out the back of his house and was shot after threatening the officers, the chief said.
All three officers were placed on standard paid administrative leave pending the outcome of an internal investigation, as well as a shooting investigation conducted by Tooele police.
Whether Davis wanted to die from "suicide-by-cop" was one of the areas being investigated.
Police did not offer details Monday about what "life events" may have caused Davis to act the way he did.
Utah State Court records show a case was filed Sept. 25 against Davis for near $7,500 in child support to be collected. He has a minor criminal history that includes a misdemeanor simple assault conviction in 2004.
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Martin MacNeill gets maximum sentence for...
- Supporters for traditional marriage focus on...
- Police release names of officers involved in...
- Motorcyclist critically injured in Roosevelt...
- Bystanders flip SUV to rescue teen from river
- Can Utah solve its surprising binge drinking...
- Astronomers find massive black hole in tiny...
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 129
- Police break silence about... 50
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 42
- New definition of homeless would give... 31
- Utah, Western states say feds are all... 26
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 22
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20
- Love says commenting on Saratoga... 19