Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
GRANTSVILLE — A Grantsville man died early Monday from injuries he received when he was shot by police Sunday night.
Travis Claye Davis, 37, was shot when he came out of the back of his house, 54 W. Clark St., and threatened three officers with a gun, said Grantsville Police Chief Kevin Turner.
One of the officers fired one shot. Davis was taken to a local hospital, where he died of his injuries.
The incident began just before 8 p.m. Sunday when Grantsville police were notified by the man's relatives that they were concerned about him and wanted officers to check on him.
"I believe he had some life events that were causing him to question things, and he was reaching out for some help," Turner said.
The scene "quickly escalated" and additional officers were called to the house, he said. Davis then barricaded himself inside for several hours. He eventually came out the back of his house and was shot after threatening the officers, the chief said.
All three officers were placed on standard paid administrative leave pending the outcome of an internal investigation, as well as a shooting investigation conducted by Tooele police.
Whether Davis wanted to die from "suicide-by-cop" was one of the areas being investigated.
Police did not offer details Monday about what "life events" may have caused Davis to act the way he did.
Utah State Court records show a case was filed Sept. 25 against Davis for near $7,500 in child support to be collected. He has a minor criminal history that includes a misdemeanor simple assault conviction in 2004.
- Parents remember child, 6, who died days...
- British judge hears arguments in case LDS...
- Parties have now finalized arguments in...
- Can House speaker be a 'real fighter' in...
- LDS missionary from Utah dies in Micronesia
- Bill passed by Legislature may mean Utah...
- Layton man injured in Afghanistan adopts...
- Utah National Guard's 142nd Military...
- Parties have now finalized arguments in... 78
- Utah recognition of same-sex marriage... 76
- British judge hears arguments in case... 66
- LDS missionary from Utah dies in... 41
- Cyclists killed in early morning crash... 36
- Utah prosecutors forward allegations... 34
- House report: John Swallow hung 'for... 32
- BYU chemist makes breakthrough... 29