Fast and Female gives girls an opportunity to be inspired by Olympians
Armando Trovati, AP
Sometimes an Olympic dream seems just too big and far away to a young athlete.
About a dozen Olympians will gather next Sunday, Oct. 6, 2013, in hopes of helping girls, ages 9-19, realize that dream isn’t so far away after all. The Fast and Female Clinic is an event coordinated in Utah by Olympic cross-country skier Liz Stephen.
“Fast and Female clinics are a ton of fun, both for the Olympians and the young girls,” Stephen said. “It’s especially impressive to bring girls into the USSA Center of Excellence where all of us train. It’s an extra motivating factor to know that they’re in a training center where Olympic medals begin.” The workshops are led by a group of Olympians from sports like freestyle skiing, snowboarding, biathlon and ski jumping. The clinic divides girls into groups where they work one-on-one with Olympic athletes on sessions that teach the value of fitness and athletics.
“As Olympians, it means a lot to us to be able to motivate young girls to empower themselves through sport,” said Olympic cross-country skier Kikkan Randall, who is also a World Cup and World Champion. “The lessons they learn in our Fast and Female workshops help them learn the importance of fitness and sport, but also leave an impression that extends their lives as young women.”
There is also a program for parents from 3:45 until 4:45 p.m. The cost is $25, with each participant earning a T-shirt, midafternoon snack and subscription to Pedal or SkiTrax magazine. Registration is available online at www.fastandfemale.com and is limited to 100 girls.
- Dick Harmon: Christian Stewart's season of...
- Utah State's Kevin Whimpey is an athlete,...
- Red and Blue Recruits: BYU's new commit gets...
- BYU football: After initial struggles,...
- Cougars fall short again in 87-85 loss to...
- Records fall as BYU, Chase Fischer shoot past...
- High school basketball: Tuesday's roundup
- High school boys basketball: 5A team-by-team...
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 160
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 94
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU... 66
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 48
- Utah football: Utes' annual game with... 47
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 40
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants... 37
- Utes on the verge of a winning Pac-12... 30