Amy Donaldson: Jordan Malone's determined journey should inspire all of us
And leave it to Malone to remind us why even the most unathletic among us love to see athletes overcome adversity.
Life is hard.
And if you’re doing it right, so are sports.
Malone isn’t at the finish line, but he’s picking up speed.
“Overall I'm very happy with the way the season is starting and extremely happy to have been a part of men's relay gold,” he said.
What he and his teammates accomplished this weekend, after all they’ve been through, is a triumph that not many outside the sport will fully comprehend. But thinking your ship has sailed, your dream has died or your prime is past, well, a lot of us can relate to entertaining those kinds of thoughts.
And then we hear a story — about a guy who's been around the rink a few times, about a guy who’s fallen down a lot, about a guy who nearly decided that the ease of giving up was more appealing than the sacrifice and grind of chasing a childhood dream for even a few more months — and we take heart.
Sometimes what looks like the end of a dream is just a turn in the road. And all that’s required of us is to keep moving forward. It isn’t always the end that is the reward, but in most cases, it’s the goal that provides the most enlightening path.
Malone didn’t come back to do well. He didn’t fight back from injuries and illness to participate.
He’s coming back to win Olympic gold. And even when the days are good, the skating seems easier and he finds a place on the podium, he never forgets why he made that difficult choice in a dark time.
“I’m happy but not satisfied,” he said after collecting his medals in China. “I'll leave the job of satisfaction up to the Olympic podium."
- Former UNC coach Dean Smith willed $200 to...
- BYU football hosts 'Friday Night Lights'...
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL president...
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date with...
- Utah football: Booker's return lifts offense,...
- Brad Rock: Utes have Duked it out with big...
- NCAA 'service work' has been eye-opening for...
- Runnin' Utes take on Duke in Texas-sized venue
- Utes to face Duke in the Sweet 16... 207
- BYU looking forward to an influx of... 54
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill is making a... 31
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 31
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 25
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- It's Coach K vs. Coach K as Utah... 22
- Ogden chooses to play as an independent... 21