SALT LAKE CITY — The Westminster College women’s soccer team had its three-game winning streak come to an end with a 1-0 loss to 21st-ranked Cal State San Marcos on Sunday at Dumke Field.
Westminster loses at home for just the second time this season and drops to 6-6 overall on the year. Cal State San Marcos moves to 6-3-1 with the victory.
After the two teams played to a scoreless first half, CSUSM tallied the only goal of the game in the 76th minute. Kaleigh Dodson put a corner kick in the penalty area where Sarah Campbell headed a shot that was punched out by Griffin keeper Abi Yanke. The ball found the feet of Jessica Wilds who put her shot in the net.
Westminster finished the game with a 10-9 advantage in total shots, but it only managed one of those attempts on goal. The Griffins took five corner kicks and surrendered six corners to the Cougars. Jessica Harris led Westminster with four shots, while Lexi Tucker had the only shot on goal.
Yanke suffered her first loss of the season, and she had her streak of consecutive minutes without allowing a goal snapped at 356 minutes.
The Griffins are on the road for the next two weeks, and they begin at Rocky Mountain (Mont.) on Oct. 6 at noon.
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks about...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings University of...
- Morning links: Steve Young quotes Joseph...
- Ute recruit Tyler Huntley posting huge...
- Felt's Facts: Breaking down the Utah high...
- Underrated East Carolina will test BYU's defense
- BYU vs. East Carolina: How to attend, watch,...
- BYU football: East Carolina in 6 numbers
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 53
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 46
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks... 40
- Utah Utes football: The California... 30
- Utes back in the college football... 27
- BYU coaches continue helping players... 22
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings... 22
- Underrated East Carolina will test... 19