More accusers come forward in sexually explicit photos case
SOUTH OGDEN — The case of a former longtime school teacher and Boy Scout leader accused of storing explicit pictures of young boys on his computer is taking on new twists, with more witnesses who have come forward and a botched suicide attempt by the accused.
South Ogden Police Chief Darin Parke said Saturday that eight men have contacted investigators after learning about the current criminal charges filed against Kenneth William Prince, 61.
Prince tried to kill himself last week after learning of the charges by ingesting mercury in an incident at a Logan home. Several officers and paramedicts were exposed while responding to the scene, police said.
In the latest allegations to surface, the eight men who have come forward told police that Prince took photos of them when they were students at South Ogden Junior High School, where he was a teacher. A few of the men said they also knew Prince as their Scout leader.
According to Parke, the men who have approached investigators about the case said the photos were taken in a group setting after Prince would convince them it was some official activity. He'd then ask the boys to take their clothes off, Parke said. The pictures were not taken on school property, according to the chief.
The case against Prince continues to grow after he was charged Thursday in 2nd District Court with five counts of sexual exploitation of a minor. The second-degree felonies were lodged after a man reported to police he had been molested by Prince more than a decade ago.
A subsequent search of Prince's home earlier this month revealed a laptop containing sexually explicit photos of young boys.
Prince taught at South Ogden Junior High School from 1979 until 2008. That was the same year Prince was discovered by Salt Lake police in a "lewd act," in a west Salt Lake gym.
Prince retired the next month from his teaching career, but Weber School District officials refused to say if his departure was in any way related to the lewdness incident.
By 2010, the misdemeanor case was dismissed after he was allowed to enter a plea of guilty — which was held in abeyance if he was able to meet the conditions of the court.
Police are asking anyone with information on Prince to call 801-629-8221 and ask to talk to South Ogden investigators.
- After more than 6 years, 3 families yearn for...
- Strong winds cause damage, possibly fatal...
- Former BYU, non-Mormon professor writes 'in...
- Millcreek man faces child abuse homicide...
- Sen. Orrin Hatch headed to Israel to meet...
- Scam targets families of LDS missionaries
- About Utah: Want a ride to the past? Matt...
- New strategies eliminate long waitlist for...
- Poll: 66 percent of Utahns support... 51
- GOP primary in governor's race now... 24
- Award recipient's affiliation draws ire... 14
- Scam targets families of LDS missionaries 13
- Provo transit project set to begin,... 13
- Chaffetz attorney calls FEC complaint... 12
- Former BYU, non-Mormon professor writes... 11
- After more than 6 years, 3 families... 11