“As we read and ponder the scriptures, we will experience the sweet whisperings of the Spirit to our souls. We can find answers to our questions. We learn of the blessings which come through keeping God’s commandments. We gain a sure testimony of our Heavenly Father and our Savior, Jesus Christ, and of their love for us. When combined with our prayers, we can of a certainty know that the gospel of Jesus Christ is true.”
President Monson told the worldwide congregation that remembering prayer and taking time to turn to the scriptures will bless their lives and make their burdens light.
He spoke of a woman, Tiffany, whose husband had been in medical school and was now in his second year of residency. Because of the husband's busy schedule, care for the couple’s four young children fell to the Tiffany.
“She was becoming overwhelmed, and then she learned that one who was dear to her had been diagnosed with cancer,” President Monson recounted. “The stress and worry began to take a heavy toll on her, and she slipped into a period of discouragement and depression. She sought medical help, and yet nothing changed. Her appetite disappeared and she began to lose weight, which her tiny frame could ill afford. She sought peace through the scriptures and prayed for deliverance from the gloom which was overtaking her. When neither peace nor help seemed to come, she began to feel abandoned by God.”
Tiffany sought medical attention and friends and family stepped in to help. One day Tiffany told a friend trying to help her find something she could eat of her desire for homemade bread. The next day a woman Tiffany barely new delivered a loaf of homemade bread.
“And so it happened that the Lord sent a virtual stranger across town to deliver not just the desired homemade bread, but also a clear message of love to Tiffany,” said President Monson. “What happened to her cannot be explained in any other way. She had an urgent need to feel that she wasn’t alone — that God was aware of her and had not abandoned her. That bread — the very thing she wanted — was delivered to her by someone she barely knew, someone who had no knowledge of her need but who listened to the prompting of the Spirit and followed that prompting. It became an obvious sign to Tiffany that her Heavenly Father was aware of her needs and loved her enough to send help. He had responded to her cries for relief.”
Concluding, President Monson said, “My dear sisters, your Heavenly Father loves you — each of you. That love never changes. It is not influenced by your appearance, by your possessions, or by the amount of money you have in your bank account. It is not changed by your talents and abilities. It is simply there. It is there for you when you are sad or happy, discouraged or hopeful. God’s love is there for you whether or not you deserve love. It is simply always there.”
- This is even more evidence that Jesus may...
- Want to improve your marriage? Get a hobby,...
- President Uchtdorf dedicates addition to...
- Mormon Channel releases gritty videos of real...
- Helping people deal with criticisms against...
- How serving an LDS mission prepared me for...
- Defending the Faith: Parallels between Lehite...
- LDS Church will continue Boy Scout program
- LDS Church will continue Boy Scout program 256
- Marching band not allowed to perform... 106
- Defending the Faith: Parallels between... 44
- LDS Church releases statement after... 28
- This is even more evidence that Jesus... 13
- Is there too much faith in college... 12
- Want to improve your marriage? Get a... 10
- Recently vandalized Fort Collins... 8