BERKELEY, Calif. — Sophomore Mackenna Maddox won two matches as she advanced to the quarterfinals of the Cal Nike Invitational on Friday.
Every BYU singles player won their first match and advanced out of the first round, but they did not make it into the quarterfinals.
"Everyone did well in the first round matches," BYU coach Lauren Jones-Spencer said. "We played some great tennis today and I'm happy to see Mackenna advance."
In doubles draw, all four doubles teams competed well but did not advance.
Maddox will continue her run in singles play Saturday at 1:00 p.m. PST.
The tournament pool included players from 15 universities, including West Coast Conference opponents Santa Clara, Saint Mary's and Pacific.
McKay Perry is the sports information director for BYU men's and women's tennis. Contact him at email@example.com
- Quiz: How much do you really know about BYU...
- BYU football media day: Live coverage
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: How well do you remember BYU's 1984...
- Sitake making transition from longtime...
- About Utah: Miracle Bowl BYU receiver Ryan...
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans proclaimed...
- Several Utahns competing in this week's...
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 81
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 59
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 59
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 51
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 44
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 20
- 10 takeaways from BYU football media day 16
- BYU football receives commitment from... 15