Marcio Jose Sanchez, AP
SAN JOSE — For the second week in a row, the Utah State football team performed on the national stage with its game shown on a major TV network.
This time it was ESPN-TV for the San Jose State game, a week after being on ABC-TV against USC.
That’s quite a leap from just a couple of years ago, when the Aggies didn’t have any national televised games. In all, the Aggies have 10 games that are on national television, although all aren’t major networks such ESPN and ABC.
The Aggies have four on the CBS Sports Network, two games on ROOT and another on one of the ESPN family of stations and one on Fox Sports, in addition to the two recent games.
USU athletic director Scott Barnes calls all of the national attention “a wonderful opportunity” for the Aggie program, which he calls “as good as it’s ever been.’’
“We’re so proud of what we have here at Utah State institutionally and athletically. This is a great opportunity to show the nation about us and share our story,’’ Barnes said. “We’re moving from a bit of a secret to a more recognized brand, and the trajectory of our program has a lot to do with that. Certainly the timing and platform couldn’t be better to capitalize on it.’’
GAME NOTES: With his two first-half touchdown passes, USU QB Chuckie Keeton has now thrown two TD passes in all five games this year. SJSU kicker Austin Lopez made two first-half field goals to go to 23-for-23 for his career, but he missed a 42-yarder as the first half ended. The Aggies wore their more traditional uniforms, blue helmets and pants and white jerseys. Last week at USC, the Ags wore white helmets, gray jerseys and white pants. Longtime college and professional coach Dick Vermeil (UCLA, Philadelphia, St. Louis), a San Jose State grad, was honored between the first and second quarters. Scouts from four NFL teams, San Diego, Baltimore, San Francisco and Carolina, were on hand for the game. San Jose State came into the game leading the overall series 20-14-1, although the Aggies had won the last four in the series.
- Utah high schoolers who've reached the Super...
- Doug Robinson: 'In Football We Trust'...
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around as...
- Utes get it done at home again
- Former Utah Jazz guard Deron Williams had...
- Utah Utes still pursuing several big-time...
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes still outstanding from...
- BYU basketball analysis: Why the Cougars...
- Brad Rock: BYU asleep at the switch on... 98
- BYU, Michigan State agree to... 90
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 61
- Dick Harmon: BYU continuing new policy... 55
- Utah football: Utes add former BYU... 51
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 37
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 29
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles... 28