Marcio Jose Sanchez, AP
SAN JOSE — For the second week in a row, the Utah State football team performed on the national stage with its game shown on a major TV network.
This time it was ESPN-TV for the San Jose State game, a week after being on ABC-TV against USC.
That’s quite a leap from just a couple of years ago, when the Aggies didn’t have any national televised games. In all, the Aggies have 10 games that are on national television, although all aren’t major networks such ESPN and ABC.
The Aggies have four on the CBS Sports Network, two games on ROOT and another on one of the ESPN family of stations and one on Fox Sports, in addition to the two recent games.
USU athletic director Scott Barnes calls all of the national attention “a wonderful opportunity” for the Aggie program, which he calls “as good as it’s ever been.’’
“We’re so proud of what we have here at Utah State institutionally and athletically. This is a great opportunity to show the nation about us and share our story,’’ Barnes said. “We’re moving from a bit of a secret to a more recognized brand, and the trajectory of our program has a lot to do with that. Certainly the timing and platform couldn’t be better to capitalize on it.’’
GAME NOTES: With his two first-half touchdown passes, USU QB Chuckie Keeton has now thrown two TD passes in all five games this year. SJSU kicker Austin Lopez made two first-half field goals to go to 23-for-23 for his career, but he missed a 42-yarder as the first half ended. The Aggies wore their more traditional uniforms, blue helmets and pants and white jerseys. Last week at USC, the Ags wore white helmets, gray jerseys and white pants. Longtime college and professional coach Dick Vermeil (UCLA, Philadelphia, St. Louis), a San Jose State grad, was honored between the first and second quarters. Scouts from four NFL teams, San Diego, Baltimore, San Francisco and Carolina, were on hand for the game. San Jose State came into the game leading the overall series 20-14-1, although the Aggies had won the last four in the series.
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by media...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 commissioner frank about...
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not on...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to Cleveland...
- From autonomy to Harvey Langi: Tidbits from...
- The original BCS busters: Looking back at...
- Utah's Fiesta Bowl championship team: Where...
- Utah football: Pac-12 Football Media Day Central
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 225
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by... 95
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is... 78
- The original BCS busters: Looking back... 53
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not... 44
- ACC media days has some interesting... 43
- Utah's better BCS buster, 2004 or 2008? 29
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to... 26