Marcio Jose Sanchez, AP
SAN JOSE — For the second week in a row, the Utah State football team performed on the national stage with its game shown on a major TV network.
This time it was ESPN-TV for the San Jose State game, a week after being on ABC-TV against USC.
That’s quite a leap from just a couple of years ago, when the Aggies didn’t have any national televised games. In all, the Aggies have 10 games that are on national television, although all aren’t major networks such ESPN and ABC.
The Aggies have four on the CBS Sports Network, two games on ROOT and another on one of the ESPN family of stations and one on Fox Sports, in addition to the two recent games.
USU athletic director Scott Barnes calls all of the national attention “a wonderful opportunity” for the Aggie program, which he calls “as good as it’s ever been.’’
“We’re so proud of what we have here at Utah State institutionally and athletically. This is a great opportunity to show the nation about us and share our story,’’ Barnes said. “We’re moving from a bit of a secret to a more recognized brand, and the trajectory of our program has a lot to do with that. Certainly the timing and platform couldn’t be better to capitalize on it.’’
GAME NOTES: With his two first-half touchdown passes, USU QB Chuckie Keeton has now thrown two TD passes in all five games this year. SJSU kicker Austin Lopez made two first-half field goals to go to 23-for-23 for his career, but he missed a 42-yarder as the first half ended. The Aggies wore their more traditional uniforms, blue helmets and pants and white jerseys. Last week at USC, the Ags wore white helmets, gray jerseys and white pants. Longtime college and professional coach Dick Vermeil (UCLA, Philadelphia, St. Louis), a San Jose State grad, was honored between the first and second quarters. Scouts from four NFL teams, San Diego, Baltimore, San Francisco and Carolina, were on hand for the game. San Jose State came into the game leading the overall series 20-14-1, although the Aggies had won the last four in the series.
- The 1990 NBA draft redone: See how a pair of...
- Utahns in baseball: BYU alum Adam Law breaks...
- Amy Donaldson: It's easy for this working...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback Austin...
- Prep sports: All-Sports awards feature 2...
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting niche
- Utah Jazz: Terry Rozier’s toughness...
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 45
- Links: BYU gets a new commitment; Utes... 43
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 40
- BYU basketball: NBA draft insiders... 31
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby... 24
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on... 16
- Morning links: SI features Frank... 11
- Live streams: 5A & 4A state baseball... 7