Westminster soccer: Rocky Mountain defeats Westminster with first-half goal
SALT LAKE CITY – The Westminster College men’s soccer team couldn’t find a goal and fell, 1-0, to Rocky Mountain (Conf.) in a Frontier Conference game at Dumke Field on Friday evening.
Rocky Mountain (8-2-1, 1-0 Frontier) scored the game’s only goal in the 12th minute. Ben Teasdale played the ball to the right edge of the penalty area where Chris Jermy’s shot on his first touch found the inside of the net on the left side for the winner.
Westminster (4-6, 0-2) created chances in the second half as it took eight shots during the period. Jordan Conroy put a shot just wide of the net on a redirected free kick in the 57th minute. He then had another redirection from a corner kick stopped by the Rocky keeper in the 66th minute. Ryan Smith had a good look in the 73rd minute, but his shot drifted wide.
The Griffins finished the game with an 11-7 edge in total shots, and they put four of those attempts on goal. Westminster limited the visitors to just two shots after halftime and only three shots on frame in the entire game. The two teams combined for 26 fouls and four yellow cards.
Logan Butzier suffered the loss in goal for the Griffins while making two saves.
Westminster will complete the home portion of its schedule on Sunday when it faces 23rd-ranked Cal State San Marcos. The senior class will be honored before the start of the 12:30 p.m. game.
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70
- 20 questions: How well do you know Tyler...
- Utes come up short in Pac-12 battle with Arizona
- Skyler Halford helps key BYU's late-season...
- Layton steps up big late to secure a 48-46...
- 16 Mormon pop culture moments from 2014-15
- High school boys basketball: Pine View wins...
- High school boys basketball: Manti stuns...
- Peavler: BYU and Utah would both be... 92
- Holmoe talks about bowl brawl... 84
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70 79
- Dick Harmon: Holmoe's outward interest... 63
- Utes bounce back, blast Sun Devils 50
- Utes come up short in Pac-12 battle... 50
- Morning links: Utah coaching job... 30
- Morning links: Examining BYU's at-large... 29