Infographic: Cody Hoffman on track to break receiving records, many held by Austin Collie
Hoffman has nine chances left to take the field and blow records out of the park. He is 367 yards shy of matching the all-time receiving yards record. Plus with nine more receptions and three more touchdowns, he will hold both the all-time record number of career receptions as well as receiving touchdowns.
These are the most prominent records Hoffman is nearing, but he is also a mere three games shy of the all-time number of 100-yard receiving games record from Austin Collie. Hoffman has 15 100-yard efforts in his career with BYU, including his 108-yard game against Utah last weekend.
Hoffman's BYU playing career is coming to an end this season, however experts believe he has the talent to succeed in the NFL.
Collie, who holds several of the BYU receiving records currently, had a successful NFL debut with the Indianapolis Colts. In four years with the Colts, he had 173 catches for 1,845 total yards. However, Collie's career path was drastically altered with major concussion woes and he now remains as a free agent.
Hoffman has an opportunity to break Collie's records and leave his stamp on the BYU football program. And he will likely be able to take his football career to the NFL, where he is predicted to enjoy success much like Collie did with the Colts.
Whitney O'Bannon is a new media sports writer for the Deseret News. Follow her on Twitter at @whitney_oban.
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- BYU moves up one spot in AP poll, heads into...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- BYU football report card: Special teams...
- Utah football notes: Paul makes quite a splash
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 114
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 62
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 51
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to... 48
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33