“It’s not about me,” said Kanter, who is recovering from offseason shoulder surgery. “It’s about the whole Utah Jazz and we just try to make them Jazz fans, because if they love us they gonna love the Jazz, so that’s what I’m really looking forward to.”
They’ll have to work a little harder, however, to win over Boo Reh, a 12-year-old from Thailand who has lived in Utah the last four years.
“Yeah, it was a lot of fun,” he said. “I learned that, you know, we have to dribble two balls, and that was hard. ... But my favorite team is BYU.”
It was a similar story for Abdi, age 9, a fourth-grader who has been in Utah for seven years — or “ever since I was a baby,” he said.
“I don’t actually watch the Jazz very much,” he admitted. “I like (Golden State’s) Andre Iguodala.”
And then there was Omari, 15, a sophomore at Cottonwood High School who has lived in Utah for the past 10 years.
“I like the Jazz, but I like the Miami Heat better because my favorite player has always been LeBron (James),” he said.
“I play every day and I’m getting ready to try out for my high school team,” said Omari, who has a smooth shooting stroke and can play either point guard or shooting guard. “I made it last year at West High as a ninth-grader, so I have a pretty good feeling I’m gonna make it.”
And hey, who knows? He just might be a future Jazzman in the making.
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Froome keeps lead intact, set to secure 3rd...
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- IOC leaders stop short of complete ban on...
- Aussies won't move to Rio village yet; power,...
- Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza inducted into...
- 'Vive la France': Chris Froome makes...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 104
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 45
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 30
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 21
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 15
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of... 8
- Former BYU guard Cory Calvert to... 7