“It’s not about me,” said Kanter, who is recovering from offseason shoulder surgery. “It’s about the whole Utah Jazz and we just try to make them Jazz fans, because if they love us they gonna love the Jazz, so that’s what I’m really looking forward to.”
They’ll have to work a little harder, however, to win over Boo Reh, a 12-year-old from Thailand who has lived in Utah the last four years.
“Yeah, it was a lot of fun,” he said. “I learned that, you know, we have to dribble two balls, and that was hard. ... But my favorite team is BYU.”
It was a similar story for Abdi, age 9, a fourth-grader who has been in Utah for seven years — or “ever since I was a baby,” he said.
“I don’t actually watch the Jazz very much,” he admitted. “I like (Golden State’s) Andre Iguodala.”
And then there was Omari, 15, a sophomore at Cottonwood High School who has lived in Utah for the past 10 years.
“I like the Jazz, but I like the Miami Heat better because my favorite player has always been LeBron (James),” he said.
“I play every day and I’m getting ready to try out for my high school team,” said Omari, who has a smooth shooting stroke and can play either point guard or shooting guard. “I made it last year at West High as a ninth-grader, so I have a pretty good feeling I’m gonna make it.”
And hey, who knows? He just might be a future Jazzman in the making.
- Past few days 'difficult' for former...
- Defending champ Serena Williams at Wimbledon...
- Chile wins 2nd straight Copa America title as...
- Messi's retirement from Argentina could hurt...
- Most common names of NBA players this season
- Injured Lochte plows ahead in 200 free at US...
- Djokovic beat James Ward to open bid for 5th...
- Durant, Anthony lead US Olympic basketball team
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 79
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 63
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 59
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 51
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 44
- 10 takeaways from BYU football media day 30
- Who will be BYU's starting quarterback?... 22
- Utah football: Williams, McCormick... 21