“It’s not about me,” said Kanter, who is recovering from offseason shoulder surgery. “It’s about the whole Utah Jazz and we just try to make them Jazz fans, because if they love us they gonna love the Jazz, so that’s what I’m really looking forward to.”
They’ll have to work a little harder, however, to win over Boo Reh, a 12-year-old from Thailand who has lived in Utah the last four years.
“Yeah, it was a lot of fun,” he said. “I learned that, you know, we have to dribble two balls, and that was hard. ... But my favorite team is BYU.”
It was a similar story for Abdi, age 9, a fourth-grader who has been in Utah for seven years — or “ever since I was a baby,” he said.
“I don’t actually watch the Jazz very much,” he admitted. “I like (Golden State’s) Andre Iguodala.”
And then there was Omari, 15, a sophomore at Cottonwood High School who has lived in Utah for the past 10 years.
“I like the Jazz, but I like the Miami Heat better because my favorite player has always been LeBron (James),” he said.
“I play every day and I’m getting ready to try out for my high school team,” said Omari, who has a smooth shooting stroke and can play either point guard or shooting guard. “I made it last year at West High as a ninth-grader, so I have a pretty good feeling I’m gonna make it.”
And hey, who knows? He just might be a future Jazzman in the making.
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by media...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 commissioner frank about...
- From autonomy to Harvey Langi: Tidbits from...
- Deseret News Classic Marathon: Van de Camp,...
- Utah's Fiesta Bowl championship team: Where...
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not on...
- Utah State's Keeton getting Heisman hype
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to Cleveland...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 226
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by... 97
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is... 82
- The original BCS busters: Looking back... 56
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not... 46
- ACC media days has some interesting... 44
- Utah's better BCS buster, 2004 or 2008? 29
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to... 26