“It’s not about me,” said Kanter, who is recovering from offseason shoulder surgery. “It’s about the whole Utah Jazz and we just try to make them Jazz fans, because if they love us they gonna love the Jazz, so that’s what I’m really looking forward to.”
They’ll have to work a little harder, however, to win over Boo Reh, a 12-year-old from Thailand who has lived in Utah the last four years.
“Yeah, it was a lot of fun,” he said. “I learned that, you know, we have to dribble two balls, and that was hard. ... But my favorite team is BYU.”
It was a similar story for Abdi, age 9, a fourth-grader who has been in Utah for seven years — or “ever since I was a baby,” he said.
“I don’t actually watch the Jazz very much,” he admitted. “I like (Golden State’s) Andre Iguodala.”
And then there was Omari, 15, a sophomore at Cottonwood High School who has lived in Utah for the past 10 years.
“I like the Jazz, but I like the Miami Heat better because my favorite player has always been LeBron (James),” he said.
“I play every day and I’m getting ready to try out for my high school team,” said Omari, who has a smooth shooting stroke and can play either point guard or shooting guard. “I made it last year at West High as a ninth-grader, so I have a pretty good feeling I’m gonna make it.”
And hey, who knows? He just might be a future Jazzman in the making.
- Utah's first family of boxing loses one of...
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football winner...
- Local flavor in the NBA (and beyond): Lillard...
- A Super Bowl 1st-timer, Utah native Sealver...
- BYU basketball guard Anson Winder and...
- Morning links: Utes land a local commitment...
- Utah Jazz forward Gordon Hayward gets a...
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball, slow down
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 48
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 41
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 37
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 34
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 33
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball,... 31
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles... 28
- Utes get it done at home again 21