Utes football: Family of Utah receiver Dres Anderson will be rooting for the guys in red
Andrew J. Allred, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Next week will be extra special for Utah’s Dres Anderson. Playing against UCLA always is for the wide receiver.
The junior grew up as a fan of the Bruins — and with good reason. His father, Willie “Flipper” Anderson, and uncle, Paco Craig, played for them before moving on to the NFL.
As such, Dres Anderson looks forward to the annual meeting between Utah and UCLA. This year’s game is set for Thursday, Oct. 3 (Fox Sports 1, 8 p.m.) at Rice-Eccles Stadium.
“Oh yeah,” he said. “Everybody’s going to be talking about it in the Anderson household.”
There’s no division, however.
“They’re going to be going for us, you know, because I’m here,” explained Dres, who noted that even his uncle Paco — a diehard UCLA fan — will be rooting for Utah next week. “It’s great, you know. Family is deeper than the school.”
Anderson enters the game as Utah’s leader in receiving yards (404), receiving yards per game (101), receptions (18) and touchdown catches (three).
“Jared was very productive on Saturday night. He’s a physical, tough inside linebacker — one of our defensive leaders,” said Utah coach Kyle Whittingham. “He’s a good leader for us. He’s inspirational for the defensive side of the ball and keeping people emotionally in the football game.”
Norris, who has started all four games this season, has 25 tackles (13 solo) with two stops behind the line of scrimmage. He has also broken up two passes and forced a fumble this year.
KICKING IT: So far, so good for Utah kicker Andy Phillips. The 24-year-old freshman, who had never played in a football game before this season, has proved to be a natural. The former U.S. ski team racer is a perfect 7 for 7 on field goals and a Pac-12-leading 21 for 21 on PATs.
“That has been a big plus for us. That is something that we have really had a big benefit from,” said Whittingham, who added that what Phillips has accomplished thus far has been really remarkable. “Now we are only a third of the way through now, but every week seems to be the same story. So if that continues, then we’ve got a heck of a weapon for us.”
EXTRA POINTS: The Utes are 6-2 after bye weeks under Whittingham. ... Thursday will be Utah’s annual “blackout game.” The Utes will don black uniforms and fans are encouraged to wear black attire. ... Along with the state championship (wins over BYU, Utah State and Weber State), Utah has won the Beehive Boot. ... Utah’s coaches will wear “Coach to Cure MD” patches on the sideline against UCLA to support the American Football Coaches Association’s national charity project.
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and often...
- Jennifer Hamson to lace it up for BYU one...
- Penn State sweeps BYU for a record seventh...
- Injured Tyler Haws could play when BYU hosts...
- Dick Harmon: Execution, not words, will crown...
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- The Cougars and their coach's ’stache...
- Utah State caps historic season with win over...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 61
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 40
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 34
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28