While violent, profane and sexually-charged video games like "Grand Theft Auto V" and "Call of Duty: Black Ops II" set sales records, and decidedly non-family friendly entertainment brands like "South Park" enter video game development, parents may wonder what's left for families.
Rest assured that there are plenty of innovative, vibrant and just plain fun titles out there that families can enjoy together.
Currently, the market offers the toy-powered juggernaut Skylanders from Activision, a franchise that includes "Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure," "Skylanders: Giants" and, debuting in October, "Skylanders: Swap Force." "Disney Infinity," released in August, follows a similar format and is massive in scale when it comes to gameplay and, much like Skylanders, purchasing options.
Ubisoft's "Rayman Legends" hit stores recently, and the Wii U offers a strong lineup of family-friendly games like "New Super Mario Bros. U," "Pikmin 3," "Lego City Undercover" and "The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker."
Successful sports franchises like FIFA, Madden and NBA 2K remain among the top sellers, according to Amazon.com, and continue to garner critical praise. While they may be too sophisticated for youngsters, the content remains rated E for everyone.
By no means an exhaustive list, this week the Deseret News takes a closer look at some family-friendly offerings.
- Salt Lake Comic Con FanX draws 100,000 attendees
- Heber Valley Historic Railroad Authority...
- 'Modern Family' dad opens beer restaurant in...
- Justin Bieber apologizes for Japan war shrine...
- Harry Potter fans: Hogwarts is offering...
- Neon Trees' new album 'Pop Psychology'...
- Summer movie preview: Hollywood bets big again
- S.L. father-son team gets U-Turned, comes in...
- Harry Potter fans: Hogwarts is offering... 8
- Film about man's crusade against child... 7
- 'Modern Family' dad opens beer... 2
- Justin Bieber apologizes for Japan war... 2
- Salt Lake Comic Con balloon artist... 2
- Memory Lane: Traveling through time on... 1
- S.L. father-son team gets U-Turned,... 1
- Il Divo makes a stop in Salt Lake City 1