While violent, profane and sexually-charged video games like "Grand Theft Auto V" and "Call of Duty: Black Ops II" set sales records, and decidedly non-family friendly entertainment brands like "South Park" enter video game development, parents may wonder what's left for families.
Rest assured that there are plenty of innovative, vibrant and just plain fun titles out there that families can enjoy together.
Currently, the market offers the toy-powered juggernaut Skylanders from Activision, a franchise that includes "Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure," "Skylanders: Giants" and, debuting in October, "Skylanders: Swap Force." "Disney Infinity," released in August, follows a similar format and is massive in scale when it comes to gameplay and, much like Skylanders, purchasing options.
Ubisoft's "Rayman Legends" hit stores recently, and the Wii U offers a strong lineup of family-friendly games like "New Super Mario Bros. U," "Pikmin 3," "Lego City Undercover" and "The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker."
Successful sports franchises like FIFA, Madden and NBA 2K remain among the top sellers, according to Amazon.com, and continue to garner critical praise. While they may be too sophisticated for youngsters, the content remains rated E for everyone.
By no means an exhaustive list, this week the Deseret News takes a closer look at some family-friendly offerings.
- 5 PG movies that aren't exactly kid friendly
- The Clean Cut: Two popular YouTube singers...
- San Diego Comic-Con 2014: The biggest...
- The Clean Cut: Jennifer Lawrence makes first...
- The wrath of Comic-Con: S.L. convention...
- A dozen children's books I could read every day
- First trailer for 'Night at the Museum:...
- Mormons popping up all over TV these days
- 5 PG movies that aren't exactly kid... 15
- Sarah Palin launches online... 10
- The wrath of Comic-Con: S.L. convention... 8
- George W. Bush writes book about father 3
- First trailer for 'The Hobbit: The... 3
- The Clean Cut: Jennifer Lawrence makes... 2
- Elegant Louvre Garden in Paris infested... 1
- Behind the scenes of the Utah... 1