That's not how the game played out. Though the Spartans only trailed by three at halftime, Minnesota's offense decimated San Jose's defense in the second half. The Spartans allowed 353 yards on the ground, many of which came at the hands of Minnesota's dual-threat quarterback, and couldn't respond on the scoreboard. Even though Fales threw for more than 400 yards, the Spartans limped home after a convincing 43-24 victory for the Golden Gophers.
What USU fans can expect on Friday
The Spartans have played the Aggies exceptionally tough for a long time. Though San Jose leads the series 20-14-1, the Aggies have won four in a row. However, outside of last year's 49-27 beat-down, two of those wins have been extremely close and hard-fought. Who can forget the blocked field goal in 2011 to seal the win for the Aggies?
Still, David Fales is an extremely dangerous quarterback. To put this into perspective, the Aggies sacked Fales 13 times in last year's game, a school record. Even then, Fales was 38 of 50 in passing for 467 yards with three touchdowns. The talk of him going in the first round of the NFL draft after the season aren't without merit.
Utah State robbed San Jose of a chance at the WAC championship last season. As such, the Spartans will likely want a bit of revenge. Traveling to Spartan Stadium for the second year in a row has "trap game" written all over it.
This is going to be a tough but winnable game for the Aggies.
Sam McConkie is a technical and professional writing graduate from Utah State University. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jeff Gordon readies for the Brickyard in...
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Former NFL coach Dennis Green dies at 67
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Froome keeps lead intact, set to secure 3rd...
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 100
- Morning links: National college... 98
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 80
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 34
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 34
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 31
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of... 7
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 7