Ravell Call, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — The University of Utah’s John R. Park Debate Society will host a public forum addressing citizenship and immigration reform on Oct. 2, 7 p.m., in the College of Social Work auditorium.
Titled “Life Divided: The National Debate Over Immigration Reform,” the event will include guests who have been active participants in statewide and national debates about the issue. The event is free and open to the public.
Co-sponsored by the university’s My Utah Signature Experience project, the forum includes Tony Yapias of Proyecto Latino de Utah, Robert Wren of Utahns for Immigration Reform and Enforcement, Jean Hill of Salt Lake Catholic Diocese, and Arturo Morales-Llan of Legal Immigrants for Immigration Law Enforcement.
The debate will focus on Rep. Chris Stewart’s proposal for legal status for undocumented immigrants, which would allow them to live in the United States without imprisonment or deportation after appropriate penalties. However, the proposal would not allow these same individuals a special pathway to citizenship.
In addition, the debate society will conduct a demonstration debate on the topic titled “Resolved: The United States Federal Government Should Pass Rep. Chris Stewart’s Legal Status Proposal for Undocumented Immigrants Living in the US.”
The John R. Park Debate Society at the U. is an intercollegiate competitive debate team.
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Costco begins new credit card agreement
- How the tech industry grew a rural Utah town...
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 77
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 35
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 32
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 30
- Will 'Brexit' vote help Trump in Utah? 26
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 26