SOUTH SALT LAKE — A man stabbed in an apparently unprovoked attack has died from his injuries.
About 9:15 p.m. Wednesday, Rickey Magnuson, 48, answered a knock at his door at 415 E. 3400 South. Before any words were exchanged, Magnuson was stabbed in the abdomen by the man at the door, said South Salt Lake Police Chief Chris Snyder.
The knife blade was still embedded in the victim's stomach when emergency crews arrived. Magnuson was taken to a local hospital where he later died, Snyder said.
Magnuson's roommate recognized the suspect as a man who lived in another apartment in their four-plex. The Unified Police Department's SWAT team and a K-9 unit assisted South Salt Lake police in taking Ansumana Jadama, 20, into custody without incident. A knife handle was recovered in his apartment, Snyder said.
Jadama was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of murder and aggravated burglary. A motive for the attack was unknown Thursday.
According to Utah state court records, Jadama pleaded guilty to criminal trespassing and criminal mischief, both misdemeanors, in 2012. Although his initial sentence did not include much jail time, he has since spent more than 200 days in jail, going between incarceration, mental health court and mental health treatment, court records indicate.
Jadama has gone through streaks where he was compliant with the conditions of his probation and receiving treatment, and times when he wasn't. Recently, during a Sept. 9 court hearing, Jadama was found to be "not compliant with treatment," according to court records. His next review hearing was scheduled for Monday.
In June of 2012, a family member filed for a protective order against Jadama. In August of 2012, he was found guilty of misdemeanor drug paraphernalia possession in one case and misdemeanor theft in another, according to court records.
- Man killed in avalanche had a passion for...
- Local religious leaders urge support for...
- Cities, state battle panhandling through the...
- Dog lovers walk to support anti-bias measure
- About Utah: All the mac and cheese they can eat
- The story of a fish, a river and what's ahead...
- Body of man, 51, discovered outside Cedar City
- Family of BYU student hit by car say they are...
- Advocates rally and 'roar' for... 56
- Utah Democrats offer full Medicaid... 32
- Gov. Herbert threatens veto of House... 31
- Judge: Biological father will share... 28
- The story of a fish, a river and what's... 24
- Cities, state battle panhandling... 21
- Local religious leaders urge support... 20
- Utah unemployment rate hits five-year low 11