Police find child with Spice, adults hiding in closets in Salt Lake City home
SALT LAKE CITY — Officers performing a court-ordered welfare check on three children found one child holding a container of Spice, while two adults with drugs were hiding in closets.
Krystal Fern Casuse, 35, and Louie Larry Martinez, 39, were charged Wednesday in 3rd District Court with three counts of endangerment of a child, a third-degree felony, and possession or use of a controlled substance, a class B misdemeanor.
Casuse was also charged with possession of drug paraphernalia, a class B misdemeanor.
Casuse and Martinez were hiding underneath clothing in different closets when officers executed a warrant at 350 E. 700 South on June 27, court documents state. Casuse told an officer she had more Spice and a pipe on her person.
Officers found a 6-year-old, 13-year-old and 14-year-old lying down in the home. The 13-year-old was holding a plastic container of a green, leafy substance, confirmed to be Spice by the Utah Bureau of Forensic Services, according to court documents.
The children were turned over to the Division of Child and Family Services, charges state.
— Madeleine Brown
- Woman dies, husband critically injured in...
- 9 things I wish I had known before my mission
- Precedents — and exceptions — to...
- Small group of Ordain Women supporters gather...
- The truth about addiction
- Missing 18-month-old Layton boy found...
- Man injured in police shooting identified
- 'Teacherpreneur,' a new role in the world of...
- Hatch calls shutting down government... 68
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's... 49
- Federal judge halts Herbert directive... 39
- New Medicaid expansion plan unveiled to... 27
- Is convicted killer innocent? Group... 24
- Gun control laws won't stop mass... 23
- Herbert, other governors slam federal... 20
- Woman said she felt protected in ordeal... 19