"There is opposition there, and I understand the opposition," he said.
But Beicker pointed out the refinery will be among the cleanest in the country because of its use of the best technology that is available, enabling it to meet emission limits he said are among the most stringent ever required.
"We're making every effort to keep our emissions at a minimum, and the technology puts us in a position to say we are cleaner than the guys who came before us," Beicker said. "We don't want to have excessive emissions."
The location of a refinery in eastern Utah also opens up choices for the region's oil producers who may opt to ship their product there, rather than haul it by truck to the Wasatch Front for processing at any of its five refineries. The plant will also include a rail shipping facility, allowing transport in that manner.
"It is obviously a significant step for eastern Utah and the ability to process crude oil in eastern Utah," said Lee Peacock, president of the Utah Petroleum Association.
Utah stands at a processing capacity of 175,000 barrels per day, and the Green River refinery will add to that. By refinery standards, Beicker's project is small, but it fits the needs of the market, Peacock said.
"It does give flexibility to oil producers in another part of the state," Peacock said. "It gives them another option, and options are good."
- New BYU president: Kevin Worthen to replace...
- 'We're not going to stop': Parents of Anne...
- Community comes together to surprise...
- Historic Star Mill owner sells property;...
- Salt Lake police warn of vinyl fence vandals
- Alleged mastermind in sex trafficking ring...
- South Jordan mayor says idea to split Jordan...
- Photos: Olympian Noelle Pikus-Pace speaks to...
- Judge: Biological father will share... 31
- The story of a fish, a river and what's... 26
- Local religious leaders urge support... 25
- Cities, state battle panhandling... 24
- New BYU president: Kevin Worthen to... 21
- Utah unemployment rate hits five-year low 18
- Dog lovers walk to support anti-bias... 14
- No money for House Speaker Becky... 13