Gunman shot after allegedly pointing weapon at officers
SPRING CITY, Sanpete County — A man who police say was found in a stolen vehicle was shot Wednesday after allegedly pointing a gun at a trooper and a sheriff's deputy.
Just after 7 a.m, the Utah Highway Patrol and Sanpete County Sheriff's Office went to investigate a stolen car that was found parked on a dirt road, two miles east of Spring City. A man was still inside the vehicle, said UHP Lt. Thayne Carlisle.
As the officers approached the vehicle to take him into custody, the man began to drive away and allegedly pointed a weapon at the officers.
"Shots were fired, and one of the rounds struck the subject in the arm," Carlisle said.
The driver was taken into custody about five minutes after he was shot, the UHP said. No officers were injured. The driver was also suffering from wounds that were self-inflicted sometime Wednesday prior to the confrontation with police, Carlisle said.
The gunman was taken to an area hospital with injuries that were not considered to be life-threatening.
The vehicle, which was determined to have been stolen out of Sanpete County, was being searched Wednesday.
- North Ogden woman sent to prison in...
- Salt Lake officer captured Dillon Taylor...
- Lunch manager on leave after diabetic student...
- Tips lead police to arrest of public enemy No. 1
- Stranger donates vehicle to Bountiful...
- Odyssey Elementary opens doors for...
- Family seeks change as poisoned tea...
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year
- Poll: Utahns willing to fight for... 58
- Utah argues for more time to file... 37
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year 32
- Government regulation has become like... 31
- State asks for more time to file appeal... 24
- Lunch manager on leave after diabetic... 24
- End of an era: Huntsville bookshop... 22
- Poll: Majority of Utahns in favor of... 22