Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — A man accused of poaching deer, including taking shots out of his car window for "practice," now faces criminal charges.
Richard Guy Unsworth, 35, was charged in 3rd District Court Tuesday with four counts of wanton destruction of protected wildlife — one third-degree felony and three class A misdemeanors.
Prosecutors say the Salt Lake man has been illegally shooting at deer since at least 2010.
In October of 2010, Unsworth allegedly leaned out his car window near 3800 West and 1100 South and fired one round from a .22 Ruger rifle into a group of does. When investigators asked why he did it, he replied, "practice," according to charging documents. Police say he did it a second time that same month and again in April of 2013.
In November 2011, Unsworth shot and killed a deer in a field behind his work, the charges state. He allegedly shot another deer in December of 2012 while driving near 1100 South and 3800 West. The carcass was not recovered at that time. He returned to the area in March of 2013 and found a deceased deer.
In December of 2012, near 3350 West and 1500 South, Unsworth shot twice at a trophy buck, according to charging documents. He wasn't able to find the animal until several months later.
Division of Wildlife Resources officers were made aware of the situation in April when they received a tip of someone boiling a deer's head in an apartment. Unsworth told investigators he was trying to create a European Mount, according to the charges. Such procedures involve removing the skin and muscle of an animal's skull.
- Martin MacNeill cuts self with razor in...
- LDS missionaries developing strategies to...
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday...
- Longtime teacher, BYU instructor appointed...
- Federal website fixes allowing more Utahns to...
- Families face uncertainty, unite in prayer as...
- Utahns react to death of Nelson Mandela
- As winter takes hold, needs increase for...
- Utah judge could be first to rule on... 106
- Should parents pay extra for... 46
- Federal website fixes allowing more... 44
- Tea Party Express endorses Sen. Mike... 26
- Utah A.G. John Swallow: 'No way to... 25
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say... 25
- Utahns react to death of Nelson Mandela 23
- Candidates seeking to replace Swallow... 19