Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
“It’s emotionally draining, but we’ve won nine of the last 12, so maybe we want to play them more.” — Kyle Whittingham
Of course Whittingham’s Utes won’t get to play BYU in 2014 or 2015. But his assessment may be even more astute. After all, Whittingham’s team has not even trailed in six of the past 11 rivalry games against the Cougars. That includes this year’s contest, which featured a strong start as part of a 20-13 win.
Those other contests don’t include Utah’s 54-10 shellacking in 2011, when the Utes capitalized on seven BYU turnovers for their most lopsided win over the Cougars since 1931.
In those half-dozen contests, the Cougars have made some comebacks before coming up short. But from a snow bowl shutout to two blowout victories, overall the Utes have dominated BYU over the past decade-plus in a fashion more dramatic than Whittingham’s count.
Rhett Wilkinson is a project manager for UtahPolicy.com and hails the true-blooded Aggies from Utah. The co-founder of magazine Aggie BluePrint.com, he's been an intern for the Deseret News and other publications. email@example.com | @wilklogan
- Doug Robinson: A victory lap for Hot Rod Hundley
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah State
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for Miami...
- Preparation, hard work help BYU's Koroma earn...
- Ready or not, Vegas: Here come the Utes
- Blocking the net helped propel BYU to Final...
- Jazz empathetic for fired Kings coach, happy...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with Wagner...
- 4-star offensive line commit Kieffer... 67
- Utes rally but fall short against Kansas 61
- BYU has something to prove, looking to... 60
- BYU whips Weber State, gets a scare... 48
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 36
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 31
- Dick Harmon: BYU guard Tyler Haws the... 29
- BYU women's volleyball advances to the... 25