OGDEN — A popular captain with the Weber Fire District is on paid leave pending the outcome of a DUI investigation.
Weber Fire District Capt. Joseph Gannon, 45, was arrested Aug. 21 for investigation of causing an injury accident while driving impaired. Gannon was driving on Wall Avenue when the car in front of him stopped in heavy traffic. He was unable to stop in time and rear-ended the vehicle in front of him, according to a police affidavit filed in 2nd District Court.
The occupants of the vehicle he allegedly hit sustained minor injuries, the affidavit states. A passenger in Gannon's vehicle sustained "moderate" injuries after striking the windshield.
Gannon failed a field sobriety test and told the responding officer he had had six or seven beers, according to the affidavit.
Weber Fire District Chief David Austin said Gannon was placed on administrative leave pending the outcome of an investigation. He also said Gannon's driver's license was suspended.
"He's a very good employee and a very good officer. He's well liked. He does a lot of training for the recruit firefighters," Austin told the Deseret News. "We're waiting to see what the outcome will be."
Austin said based on the investigation results, the department would deal with the situation according to policy.
As of Tuesday, Gannon had not been formally charged.
Gannon previously pleaded guilty to DUI, a class B misdemeanor, in 1995, according to Utah state court records. He spent four days in jail and was ordered to perform community service and take an alcohol treatment program, which he completed.
A call placed to Gannon was not immediately returned Tuesday.
- Ex-Utahn accused of killing 6 in Texas was...
- Parents of eight children both have cancer,...
- Court lifts stay, but gives Utah chance to...
- Daylight saving time: Should it stay or...
- Ex-Tabiona High coach admits to...
- Woman forgives ex-boyfriend for shooting her,...
- Compost fire in South Salt Lake closes roads,...
- South Salt Lake business owners complain of...
- Utah to appeal same-sex marriage ruling... 64
- Same-sex marriage advocates to deliver... 45
- 83% of Utahns say Congress needs to act... 44
- Rep. Chaffetz keeps Romney for... 41
- Mia Love labeled 'surefire winner' by... 36
- Ex-Utahn accused of killing 6 in Texas... 30
- Daylight saving time: Should it stay or... 30
- Officer who killed family had dark... 24