“For all who seek change of any kind in the church, I urge patience and faith,” Young wrote. “Cling to the things you value and don’t forget them as you seek positive change. We are not the Church of the Infallible Prophet, nor the Church of Your Particular Issue, but The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. We are a community, still learning lessons in loving one another and providing support for each other in our various journeys.”
For the Ordain Women movement, Kelly says, that journey won't end with the church's decision not to admit them to this October's general priesthood meeting.
"We operate on the Lord's time," she said. "We are not demanding anything. We are respectfully requesting that the brethren petition the Lord and ask if it is time that women are given the priesthood.
"Of course we believe it is God's priesthood," she said, responding to a question that is often asked of her by Latter-day Saints who do not approve of the Ordain Women movement. "If we didn't believe that, then why bother? But we all know the priesthood has been expanded over time. Christ expanded it to the Gentiles. In 1978 it was expanded to all worthy males. We see this as just another expansion whose time has come."
And so, she says, "Ordain Women will remain intact."
"We will continue to seek ordination through action and discussion," she said. "We plan to move forward in creative, faithful, courageous ways."
Which Skaggs says she understands and respects, in a way.
"I think it's very natural for LDS women to ask why the order of the church is the way it is," she said. "I think we've all asked it in one way or another, at one time or another in our lives. But most of us have received the witness that this is God's living church on the face of the earth, and we are willing to accept that this is the way the Lord would have it be. Just knowing that that's his will, it makes it easier to say, 'Thy will be done.'
"So I'm not going to be upset or frustrated or angry, because I know and trust that this is the Lord's decision," she continued. "I don't have to know why. I just have to know that this is the way the Lord has laid it out, and continue to believe and exercise my faith in him and his living church."
- LDS Church will continue Boy Scout program
- 8 interesting facts about the Toronto Ontario...
- Recently vandalized Fort Collins Colorado...
- LDS Church releases statement after vandals...
- Defending the Faith: Parallels between Lehite...
- Alzheimer's, fall claim life of Elder Keith...
- How serving an LDS mission prepared me for...
- Mormon woman will be first female West Point...
- LDS Church will continue Boy Scout program 243
- Marching band not allowed to perform... 104
- LDS Church releases statement after... 27
- Defending the Faith: Parallels between... 25
- Mormon woman will be first female West... 16
- This is even more evidence that Jesus... 8
- Alzheimer's, fall claim life of Elder... 7
- One organization demands 25 public... 7