DENVER — Utah Valley University senior goalkeeper Lauren Sack has been named the Western Athletic Conference Defensive Player of the Week for the week of Sept. 16-22, after helping the Wolverines record two conference victories.
Sack, a senior from Reno, Nev. (McQueen HS), recorded her first shutouts of the season in Utah Valley's two victories over Bakersfield. Sack tallied six saves without allowing a goal in UVU's first-ever WAC match, a 2-0 victory over Bakersfield on Friday at home. She then registered five saves in another 2-0 win at Bakersfield on Sunday. She recorded 11 saves on the weekend and went all 180 minutes without allowing a goal. Sack has not allowed a goal in her last 221 minutes of action, and she now has 9.2 shutouts and 27 wins in her career.
Sack currently leads the WAC in saves (44), save percentage (.800), save per game average (4.89), and ranks second in shutouts with two and goals against average (1.35).
The weekly award is Sack's first of the season.
Also on Monday the WAC named Seattle University's Stephanie Verdoia the Offensive Player of the Week. The junior forward from Salt Lake City (Brighton HS) scored one goal and tallied three assists for five points to help Seattle U to a 2-0 record last week.
Other offensive nominees included: Idaho junior midfielder Katie Baran; Grand Canyon freshman forward Taylor Layton; Kansas City senior forward Taylor Bare; New Mexico State junior midfielder Katie Smith; and Utah Valley sophomore forward Kali Stubbs.
Other defensive nominees included: Grand Canyon freshman defender Jessica Valadez; Kansas City sophomore goalkeeper Nina Tzianos; New Mexico State sophomore defender Mikaela Haley; and Seattle U senior midfielder Julia Besagno.
The Wolverines, who are off to a perfect 2-0 start in WAC play, return to the pitch Sunday afternoon at Grand Canyon in Phoenix.
James Warnick is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information about Wolverine athletics, visit www.WolverineGreen.com.
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- Dick Harmon: John Beck very impressed with...
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle Whittingham...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- Utah Jazz: Better game but same losing result...
- Brad Rock: Jazz dreaming of a Blazing future
- Prognosticating, for fun, a bright BYU...
- BYU's worldwide fan base highlighted in...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 102
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 68
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 54
- Commentary: Long-term success in... 52
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 45
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34