Trial date set for ex-Riverton High basketball coach accused of inappropriate relations with a student
RIVERTON — A trial date was set Monday for a former Riverton High math teacher and basketball coach accused of inappropriate sexual relations with a 17-year-old student.
The trial for Courtney Jarrell will begin Dec. 9.
Jarrell, 22, is charged with object rape, a first-degree felony, and forcible sexual abuse, a second-degree felony. She is accused of having relations with the teen between February and March of this year.
Although the teen was not on Jarrell's team, she testified that the two had something of a player-coach relationship. The girl spent some lunch breaks and class periods in the coach's classroom. Eventually, the teen testified, Jarrell wrote a note to her telling her that she had feelings for her. She allegedly showed the girl the note and then ripped it up.
The student testified that Jarrell said they needed to wait until she was 18 to have sex, but the teen told the coach she did not mind. They first had sex around the end of January or beginning of February, according to the girl.
Jarrell taught in the Jordan School District for just eight months when she was suspended after the district received a complaint about "inappropriate behavior," according to district officials.
— Whitney Evans
- John Jones died in a cave, but his widow...
- 'Our lives have been better for having her,'...
- Utah to pay plaintiffs in marriage...
- Prayers, protests raised in Utah as national...
- As Ferguson verdict is read, protesters in...
- Ogden attorney sues Weber School District...
- Landslide remediation plans emerge amid...
- Mother of slain baby to serve 90 days in jail
- As Ferguson verdict is read, protesters... 68
- Executive action brings 'temporary... 50
- Groups petition for gun bans from... 34
- Prayers, protests raised in Utah as... 31
- Utah to pay plaintiffs in marriage... 30
- 12-year-old girl dies in accidental... 29
- Ogden attorney sues Weber School... 27
- GOP plans to sue over Count My Vote... 21