Trial date set for ex-Riverton High basketball coach accused of inappropriate relations with a student
RIVERTON — A trial date was set Monday for a former Riverton High math teacher and basketball coach accused of inappropriate sexual relations with a 17-year-old student.
The trial for Courtney Jarrell will begin Dec. 9.
Jarrell, 22, is charged with object rape, a first-degree felony, and forcible sexual abuse, a second-degree felony. She is accused of having relations with the teen between February and March of this year.
Although the teen was not on Jarrell's team, she testified that the two had something of a player-coach relationship. The girl spent some lunch breaks and class periods in the coach's classroom. Eventually, the teen testified, Jarrell wrote a note to her telling her that she had feelings for her. She allegedly showed the girl the note and then ripped it up.
The student testified that Jarrell said they needed to wait until she was 18 to have sex, but the teen told the coach she did not mind. They first had sex around the end of January or beginning of February, according to the girl.
Jarrell taught in the Jordan School District for just eight months when she was suspended after the district received a complaint about "inappropriate behavior," according to district officials.
— Whitney Evans
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- U. doctor thanks strangers who saved him,...
- About Utah: For 95-year-old, the secret to...
- Father of slain woman said he lived his life...
- Preliminary hearing set for Utah mom accused...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to same-sex...
- Judge sets November hearing for ex-A.G.s Mark...
- Educators at UEA convention told to... 40
- Federal government extends same-sex... 29
- Autopsy shows man posed no threat to... 23
- Mia Love included in a new ad... 21
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 16
- Police arrest 3 suspected of... 15
- Risque video shoots trigger... 14
- Housing recovery slowest since World... 12