Guns, police badge, iPads recovered in burglary bust
COTTONWOOD HEIGHTS — A routine traffic stop led to the arrests of two suspected busy burglars Sunday night.
A Cottonwood Heights police officer found two people inside a vehicle carrying balloons of heroin and cash, Sgt. Mark Askerlund said.
"And while searching the vehicle, (investigators) recovered a couple of stolen guns, a police officer's badge, more drugs, more cash and a whole grundle of suspected stolen property — laptops, guns, cameras, collectible coins, iPads," Askerlund said.
But police weren't done at that point discovering evidence.
When the two men got to the Salt Lake County Jail, officers there "found more cash and drugs stuffed down their underwear," Askerlund said.
Kristofer Mangum, 31, and Daniel Watson, 36, were arrested for investigation of a number of charges, including drug possession with intent to distribute, illegal possession of a firearm and possession of stolen property.
The badge recovered allegedly belonged to a Unified police officer working in Midvale, Askerlund said. Unified police Monday, however, said they were not aware of any unaccounted for badges out of that area.
Investigators weren't sure Monday where the two handguns were stolen from, or if the suspects actually stole them or got them in a trade for drugs.
In 2011, Mangum took a plea in abeyance for disorderly conduct and was ordered to seek counseling, according to Utah court records.
Last year, Watson was convicted on an amended charge of attempted theft by receiving stolen property, a class A misdemeanor, according to court records. As part of the plea deal in that case, another case involving felony aggravated assault charges were dropped in exchange for his guilty plea in the stolen property case, court records state.
- Biskupski calls for resignations of nearly...
- Ex-EFY counselor sent to prison for sex with...
- Ogden mother charged in Weber County egging...
- Man who killed fiancee ordered to serve 1...
- Utah's first family of rodeo: Riding buckin'...
- GOP gubernatorial candidate Jonathan Johnson...
- Men and women: Understanding the wage gap is...
- UHP welcomes back Kotter, a trooper shot 4...
- Biskupski calls for resignations of... 59
- Men and women: Understanding the wage... 34
- Olene Walker, "one of Utah's finest... 17
- Man steals woman's boarding pass,... 13
- Ogden mother charged in Weber County... 12
- The new Thanksgiving tradition: A quick... 11
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving... 11
- Utah liquor consumption is up, but... 8