Guns, police badge, iPads recovered in burglary bust
COTTONWOOD HEIGHTS — A routine traffic stop led to the arrests of two suspected busy burglars Sunday night.
A Cottonwood Heights police officer found two people inside a vehicle carrying balloons of heroin and cash, Sgt. Mark Askerlund said.
"And while searching the vehicle, (investigators) recovered a couple of stolen guns, a police officer's badge, more drugs, more cash and a whole grundle of suspected stolen property — laptops, guns, cameras, collectible coins, iPads," Askerlund said.
But police weren't done at that point discovering evidence.
When the two men got to the Salt Lake County Jail, officers there "found more cash and drugs stuffed down their underwear," Askerlund said.
Kristofer Mangum, 31, and Daniel Watson, 36, were arrested for investigation of a number of charges, including drug possession with intent to distribute, illegal possession of a firearm and possession of stolen property.
The badge recovered allegedly belonged to a Unified police officer working in Midvale, Askerlund said. Unified police Monday, however, said they were not aware of any unaccounted for badges out of that area.
Investigators weren't sure Monday where the two handguns were stolen from, or if the suspects actually stole them or got them in a trade for drugs.
In 2011, Mangum took a plea in abeyance for disorderly conduct and was ordered to seek counseling, according to Utah court records.
Last year, Watson was convicted on an amended charge of attempted theft by receiving stolen property, a class A misdemeanor, according to court records. As part of the plea deal in that case, another case involving felony aggravated assault charges were dropped in exchange for his guilty plea in the stolen property case, court records state.
- Salt Lake officer captured Dillon Taylor...
- Lunch manager on leave after diabetic student...
- North Ogden woman sent to prison in...
- Tips lead police to arrest of public enemy No. 1
- Odyssey Elementary opens doors for...
- Stranger donates vehicle to Bountiful...
- Family seeks change as poisoned tea...
- Utah County teen made bomb threat, other...
- Poll: Utahns willing to fight for... 58
- Utah argues for more time to file... 41
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year 33
- Government regulation has become like... 31
- Lunch manager on leave after diabetic... 27
- State asks for more time to file appeal... 24
- Poll: Majority of Utahns in favor of... 22
- Jay Evensen: Is Provo really an... 22